Just got a brand new Nikon D610 for free and need lens help

Minimalist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I plan on picking up photography as a hobby(I've shot some before, very amateur, and also went to art school so I know a bit about good composition) also using it for business purposes for a clothing line. I'd like to be able to shoot models for blogs plus clothing for line sheets and also landscape as a hobby. I'm looking to buy a single lens right now and was wondering what you guys would buy or what you'd even suggest. The new sigma 24-70 has caught my eye but it's 1299 and while I'd spend it I want to make sure it'll be right for me.

Thanks for any help!

A 24-70 on an FF body is a good start, but there is no "single lens" that will do it all. The 24-120 f4 might be a better choice since most of what you're talking about is better with longer focal lengths. and landscapes can be easily done as panoramas.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
YEAH....24-120 f/4 with VR...a more wide-ranging lens and more well-suited to generalist type photo duties. I dunno...24-70mm is kind of "Ehhhhhhhh," to me...thwe qide end is fine! 24,28,35mm are ALL very useful wide-angle lengths on full-frame...but the 70mm top end: not very long, not very selective in angle of view! even a 24-85mm is more-useful than a 24-70mm zoom lens.

$1299 is a lot of money for a Sigma branded lens: I would never spend that much money on a Sigma 24-70mm lens, no way, sorry, but no, too much money new, and not that useful overall, in total.

A 24-70 on an FF body is a good start, but there is no "single lens" that will do it all. The 24-120 f4 might be a better choice since most of what you're talking about is better with longer focal lengths. and landscapes can be easily done as panoramas.

Why do you say that that? I figured line sheets and shooting models would require something more in line with 35-50. I can't see myself using more than 85mm but the price of the lens you mentioned used and like new is definitely more attractive.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Generally speaking, for anything involving one or two people, the longer (to a point) the better. 85mm is, IMO, the minimum for any sort of portrait work, and the 105-135 range is considered by many to be optimal. Wider lenses introduce increased distortion and features like noses can look disproportionately large when using shorter photo lengths.

The new "E" version of Nikon's 70-200mm is the one I would pick.

If you are a professional photographer, get this and write off the cost as a business expense. You won't find a used one, but you might be able to find a good deal somewhere, especially since this is Nikon's 100th anniversary. Keep checking the major photo stores for a hot deal.

AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR | Interchangeable Lens for Nikon DSLRs

Good luck!

I figured line sheets and shooting models would require something more in line with 35-50.

great thing is, the 24-120 can shoot 35-50mm. :)

knowing a budget here will help.

The new "E" version of Nikon's 70-200mm is the one I would pick.

If you are a professional photographer, get this and write off the cost as a business expense. You won't find a used one, but you might be able to find a good deal somewhere, especially since this is Nikon's 100th anniversary. Keep checking the major photo stores for a hot deal.

AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR | Interchangeable Lens for Nikon DSLRs

Good luck!
Did you bother to read what she said?

I figured line sheets and shooting models would require something more in line with 35-50.

great thing is, the 24-120 can shoot 35-50mm. :)

knowing a budget here will help.

1299 for the sigma was basically the most I would want to spend so...1299. I was originally going to just buy a 35mm sigma but I think I might be better off with something more versatile.

If you don't currently have a business, then never mind the suggestion.

Get a cheaper lens just for hobby use.

You probably won't notice any difference in the image quality anyway.

If you don't currently have a business, then never mind the suggestion.

Get a cheaper lens just for hobby use.

You probably won't notice any difference in the image quality anyway.

It would be for a start up so technically yes, for a business

It would be for a start up so technically yes, for a business
Then depending on your actual tax rate, you can save around 20% off your income taxes. Does that help?

(edit) I think I got that wrong, but see your tax preparer for clarification.

In a small business tax situation, get whatever equipment you need, and write it off.

Get the new Tamron 18-400 and shoot in crop mode.

....just kidding.

I'd personally pickup a used 24-85 VR. It's a fantastic lens. Sure not 2.8...but it would be a great lens to start out with. I thought it was sharper than the 24-120 F4 I had. But that is also another good lens to get, just make sure you buy used.

Also get your self a 50 1.8G.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back