Just got a brand new Nikon D610 for free and need lens help

You should be able to pick up a Nikon 24-120mm f4 for about 600, as they are regularly seperated from bundles, or you might get a sigma 24-105mm f4 for similar money. These lenses will do most day to day stuff. Add in an 85mm f1.8 Nikon and you'll have a dedicated portrait lens that is an ideal length and pretty excellent, use the money left over for a yongnuo TTL flash

I loved the 85 1.8G when I had it. Amazing piece of glass and I thought about getting it again...but with my 70-200 f/4...I'm not sure it would be necessary unless I need the extra stops of light. The compact size is the only reason for me honestly haha.

I prefer the way my 85mm 1.8G renders over my 70-200 2.8, so it really depends what I'm going for. If it's a more controlled setting, Ill reach for the 85mm first.

I prefer the way my 85mm 1.8G renders over my 70-200 2.8, so it really depends what I'm going for. If it's a more controlled setting, Ill reach for the 85mm first.

I suppose if you are going to be doing many portraits, then having a dedicated portrait lens would be nice..like the 85 1.8 or 135 f/2 something along those lines. But for the occasionals portraits, I think a 70-200 can do really well. I've seen many amazing portraits taken with a 70-200. I dunno.

oh for sure. I really can only tell the difference if I'm pixel peepin'

the 85mm transitions into blurred areas much smoother, and even at the same aperture, seems to mush bg's better than the 70-200 at 85mm. and maybe just a touch sharper where in focus. I think I may have even preferred how it rendered color a bit.

but again, this was like looking for differences.

Yeah the average person probably would never notice.

Since you have a D610. With the body AF drive. I suggest a combination of the other. I would look for a used 85mm f/1.8.. A used 50mm f/1.4 (or even less the 50mm f/1.8), and a used 24-120 f/4. Places like Keh.com, B&H photo video, and Adorama can be trusted with testing the lenses and their ratings of the condition. The 85mm and the 50mm lenses can be the older D series (Uses the body AF drive). They may not be as quick focusing, but they have worked fine going on 30 years now! And you get more bang for your buck until you have income coming in to buy the new gear.

The 85mm f/1.8 will be a good portrait lens for people and any 3d object. The 50mm (either one) will be good for flat work and good walking around "normal" view lens. And the 24-120 will give you a decent general walk around lens. Don't get stuck on new! I would much rather have several used lenses than one new one. Unless you know you have money coming in down the road where you can acquire more lenses over a short time period.

I barely sold my 24-120 f/4 for $400. It's not worth $1100 new.

My recommendations would be:
- AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 VR - its affordable, it renders well for a zoom, sharpness is no issue, its easy AF-S style useage, it comes with image stabilization too
- Manfroto "BeFree" travel tripod - still quite affordable, can be packed very compact with the ballhead its coming with, pretty lightweight even in the aluminium version already.
- Absolutely a Color Checker for precise colors; this is a cheap basic tool you shouldnt skip for model and product work (can be used for anything, of course, including landscape)
- [Circular] Polarizer (linear ones dont work with digital), an absolute musthave for landscapes; for example metal Hoya HMC filters are both affordable and already pretty much as good as the best, especially if you use Color Checker anyway
- Very likely a neutral density filter (10 stops) for tripod based landscape long exposures, namely for moving clouds and water.
- RAW processing software that can do high dynamic range, focus stacking, panorama series as well as Color Checker, lens corrections and post processing according to your wishes
- Obviously some studio space and setup for model and product photography work

Most reactions

Back