Just got a D40 - question.

DZX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got my Nikon D40 for Christmas and I was wondering something. How do you make what you are trying to photograph show up on the monitor, instead of having to look through the viewfinder? Thanks.

You dont, the Nikon D40 does not have that feature.

The D300 is the cheapest Nikon with live view (I think). Why would you need it though?

The D90 is cheaper and has Live View.

By RTFMing, you can't. It has no live view.

yea you will get used to it. Now whenever I have a P&S without a viewfinder I start moving the camera towards my eye and then I'm like "Wow it's not an SLR" lol

It will come as a shock to you for now but just get used to it!

You will get used to it and then not like live view. You should read your manual though :)

yup D40 does not have live view but why need it, i personally can do with out. ive only had my slr for 3 weeks and im in love with it, i went to shoot my friends P&S and i almost had a heart attack cause it had no view finder

it's the best way to take photographs honestly, the live view on any camera is not the best practice - i used to try and use the viewfinder on my digital compact and found what i saw was not what i got in the actual photograph which is really why i wanted an slr.

The ability to look through the viewfinder and literally see what the lens is seeing is half the point of an SLR. Coming from a P&S, it does take a bit to get used to holding the camera to your eye instead of a foot out in front of you, but it's well worth it. I personally see live view as nothing more than a gimmick to sell more cameras to those people who were used to looking at a screen on a camera, rather than through a viewfinder.

i just got a sony a300 and thought i would use the live view but i think i've only used it twice, believe me you'll prefer using the viewfinder over the live view

Most reactions

New Topics

Back