Just got a Nikon N70

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Ratman667, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Ratman667

Ratman667 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I found a N70, locally for $25. I thought, "Wow, this thing can't possibly work". I emailed the guy anyways. He replied back that it was barely used, still in the original box and came with the cable release. I decided to take a look at it. Long of the short: It is in near pristine condition and works great.

I went to the local camera store and got some batteries and Fuji-Film ISO 400 color film. I decided to go with a cheaper film until I learn what I am doing.

Any tips or tricks anyone would care to share? I have never owned a film camera before.

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Read the manual. No really do. Film cameras are full of subtle nuances. There's no big question mark button on the back screen that displays a help menu for you.

For instance I bought a Nikonos V this week and spent about 20 min trying to load a film before I realised on this particular camera the right film sprocket isn't decoupled when the back cover is open, so when the leader is inserted into the slot and tightened if you over tighten it just falls out, and in stead you need to use the film advance lever.

Something subtle that may popup with the N70 is that the viewfinder only has 92% coverage. Worth remembering if you're composed your scene so that something distracting is only just outside the frame.

Also remember with film the type of film and the lens you use are the only two things that impact the quality.

3. Ratman667

Ratman667 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the advice. I am currently reading the manual.