Just got back from India...

rob1116

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here's a few of the over 500 shots I took during my painfully short (12 day) visit to an incredibly old and diverse country. I had a fantastic time.

Most of these are from Gaya, ( Bohd-Gaya actually) in the province of Bihar. It's the religious place to see for Buddhists... the large tree you see the base of is supposed to be the 'Bodhi' tree, where lord Buddha obtained true enlightenment... shortly after which he starting teaching Buddhism. I think that's about right anyway ;) Regardless, very cool place to see... especially when thousands of monks are there for the annual World Peace Prayer.

Enjoy, and please critique like mad! I'm new, (D70 BTW) and impossible to offend! Thanks!

Bodhi_tree.jpg

Monk_small.jpg

Gaya_market.jpg

GayaGirl2_small.jpg

GayaGirl_small.jpg

Funny monkey in Agra...

monkey.jpg

And just for posterity:

Rob_Taj_final.jpg

(Note to self: Before printing, Photoshop myself a friggin' tan! :blushing: )

Hi,

thanx for such beautiful pictures. specially as an Indian am feeling very happy :).

Good composition and gorgeous color. But I think #5 is a bit under-exposed and in #6 the baby monkey should also be included.

but well I love them all :)

Santanu

I love the 2nd and 3rd pictures! Good job!

That's a crazy looking tree in the first one btw! :D

Welcome back, Rob. You are presenting us a very interesting series of photos here and I appreciate them all. Including the one "for posterity" with the "man without tan", so we get to know you. (You might want to post that one to the TPF Mugshots down in "General"?) ;)
Of the entire series, I like the second absolutely best. There's room enough for them to look so you could get rid of the wooden pole in their back.
The first would be a winner if you just cropped out the blurred thing in the foreground - that is easily mended!
A pity that the smiling young lady is a tad underexposed, and that you didn't catch the monkey baby.
Next time, ok? ;)

Thanks to all for the pleasent comments and constructive criticism... really! It's going to take me a while to be able to spot the things in need of change, as you have all done quite well.

I'm new to Photoshop, so these are definitely not the cleanest edits... but let me know if you think they were at least improvements over the originals, and any other further manipulation you think would help. Thanks again people... I think I'm gonna like it here :D

Bodhi_tree2.jpg

Monk_small2.jpg

monkey2.jpg

GayaGirl_small2.jpg

Great photos!!! You should post some more!!! India has some awesome Architecture goin on...and if you've got more people shots I'd love to see them too!!!

Hello Rob,

I like the post processed version of the "Tree" shot. The unedited one is a lil soft. Since you have described the tree, I would like to see more of it. I assume there might be a platform where people sit, or in ancient days, where gurus sat. Including that in the frame would have been great, in my opinion. Do you have more from this series?

How many states did you cover? Did you get a chance to visit the south? Yes, 12 days is too short. :)

Who took the Taj Mahal shot? Did you get to shoot the tomb from different angles/locations?

Cheerio!

Thanks for the kind words... even a new guy gets lucky every once in a while :) I'll post some more when I get a chance.

Danalec: Actually, this is the best shot of the tree that I have, for some stupid reason. It was very hard to get a proper shot of the entire thing, and I wasn't fully aware of it's significance until after I had left the area. And as for the platform... nope. He (Buddha) sat on the ground underneath it. And finally, it was my friend that took the pasty shot of yours truly in front of the Taj. He is an old 35mm film buff, but was in love with my camera by the end of the trip. He loves abstract and candid shots; constantly making me switch to my new Tamron 70-300mm and capturing some great expressions of the local people. You are allowed to in/on the Taj Mahal, so yes I did get many shots from different angles. I'll post some closer shots later that show the amazing attention to detail... especially for something built in the 1600s. I also have a good side shot that shows the relative size of the Taj. Because most pictures people see are similar to the one I posted above, most don't realize (as I didn't) how physically large the mosuleum is.

Raymond : Far from it! My airfare was direct, and hence quite pricey. Other than that, it's cheap-cheap-cheap... provided you stay out of the high tourist type areas; but even then it's still not bad. I stayed in several different hotels; none were 4 star, but they were all clean, had two twin beds, hot running water/shower, regular toilets, room service, etc. Average cost was equal to less than $10 Canadian/night! You can't stay in a hostel for less than $20/night in Canada, and you get a spot on a bunk bed in a room with 5 other people!

Sidenote: Food is even cheaper, and authentic Indian (especially when eaten with your hands!) is absolutely to die for :drool:

I love the one with the bike... it just captures what I see in my minds eye when I think of India, street markets and people.... it's very atmospheric.

> andreag5: "i love the second monkey one u posted :mrgreen: "

yeah... I wonder what he's thinking?

I'm guessing, "You've got two seconds to get that camera outta my face before I start throwin' feces."

Most reactions

Back