Just got my Rebel Ti! Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by talonop, Jul 23, 2004.

1. talonop

talonop TPF Noob!

Hey everybody,

I just recently purchased a Canon Rebel Ti. w00t! I have been shooting with sony digital point-and-shoot cameras for a while and decided it was time to step up to an SLR system. The dSLRs were all a little bit over what I was willing to invest, so I snagged a new Canon Ti Kit with 28-90 zoom lens off adorama for 220 bucks shipped.

Anyways, I am very happy with the camera, but the lens in the kit did not give me the range I would like. Can anybody recommend a good zoom lens? Also, what kind of filters or accessories would a beginner like me find useful?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    What kind of shooting do you like to do? Do you want wider or longer?

The Canon 75-300 might be a good, affordable lens.

As always, the 50mm F1.8 is a great lens to have. It is very sharp and being able to open to F1.8 is really nice when you need it.

As for accesories...a tripod can be your best friend. A remote shutter release can be handy as well. I would suggest a polarizer filter and maybe a clear UV filter to keep on the lens for protection.

3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Bag for your growing system.... just in case the toy bug bites yah :D

I'd start out with a good tripod and a polarizer. For a long while, I'd simply use the timer for long exposure instead of a remote. I then graduated to a IR remote. The canon 50mm f1.8 is an awsome lens and for $60 bucks you can't go wrong. Its a good prime lens to learn.

I personally didn't like the 75-300mm lens. USM version is basically the same as the non-uSM version. If $$$ is a concern, consider older used canon eos lenses. Also consider aftermarket competitors for lenses such as Tamron, Tokina, and Sigma.

4. havoc

havoc Jedi something or other

i hated the 75-300mm lens as well. Not sharp, not fast, and not even decently constructed. If you go zoom, go with a good one. You might be able to get away with cheaper on the 50-100mm because your not zooming much. Wait for a quality lense. You will appreciate it later.

5. talonop

talonop TPF Noob!

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Yes.. thats the one... its the newest version of canon's prime 50mm f1.8. Great sharp inexpensive lens to learn.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/data/ef_50_18v2.html

There's an older version that many many people search for. Slightly heavier, slightly more durable, and has a metal mount instead of the current version's plastic mount. It also has a focus range window and imo has a more comfortable manual focus ring. I found mine for $60

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/data/ef_50_18.html

BTW... you will notice from the links above that a great place for specification on canon's product line is the camera museum

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum

7. talonop

talonop TPF Noob!

I appreciate you guys helping me out. So I should get the older model eh? I will do some ebay hunting, and maybe check out the roberts by my house to see if they have it.

Anyways, I found that there was some dust on the interior mirror of my camera. It is really annoying because I can see it through my viewfinder. I am too scared to try to get the dust off myself. Should I return it for a replacement, or should I just get it cleaned at a local store?

8. talonop

talonop TPF Noob!

9. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wouldn't worry too much about getting the mark I version of the 50mm lens.

The newer version (mark II) should be just fine for you. At least then you can just buy it brand new and not have to worry about it.

10. Dimitry

Dimitry TPF Noob!

Hah thats the exact story that I have. Had Sony Cybershot for a few years and finally decided to take it a step further and bought Rebel Ti at Adorama for the same price :p

So far I bought a bag ($20), 57" tripod ($18 at Walmart!), some filters (buy 2 get 1 free, around $32 for 3), remote switch ($26 from Ritz Camera) and ummm thats it so far :)

But Im still looking for a macro lens because Im very interested in that. I have Macro +3 filter which is pretty cool, but doesnt exactly do the job.
    Here's some pics from my black & white experementation with macro.
    http://www.dimitry.com.ua/photo/bw1/

I will look into 70-200 sigma lens and see how much that is. Is that something youd recommend? I saw a pretty cheap Tamron (sp?) 70-300 lens on ebay with Canon EF mount the other day. Is that something reliable to go with?

Thanks!
    Dimitry

11. Java

Java TPF Noob!

I'm going to re-iterate something Big Mike said;
    Get a 1a skylight filter. Many people think they're stupid, because they don't seem to have any affect on your pictures. As far as I'm concerned, that's the point! It's just a $19 piece of glass covering and protecting your precious lens. I've put them on all my lenses for over 20 years. I've broken a couple of them, but I've never broken a lens!

Have Fun,
    Tom