Just inherited a Pentax Spotmatic and I have some questions.

about how much should a CLA run? My K1000 is starting to have mirror stick issues and once it becomes a regular occurance, I want to have it fixed (dont use it enough to pay for the fix now since it only happens maybe once every 2 rolls or so?).

How is the mirror sticking? Will it stick at the top of its trip or is it sluggish? If the first answer is the correct one, then you might need to replace the mirror damper. That's a fairly easy job and I can show you how to do it.

So, like the curious fool that I am, I decided to open the camera and peek inside. removing the bottom cover didnt reveal anything satisfying, so i decided to unscrew a part that had 2 worm screws on it, thinking they were potentiometers for the light meter circuit. It turns out that they are the spools for the shutter curtains:stun:. i am not able to insert them fully into place so i cant tighten the part. the shutter still winds and releases so its a matter of finding the holes for these spools. I'll probably get this on my own eventually because this is certainly not the first time ive done something like this. i once opened a watch only to see half a dozen parts fly out. I spent the next few hours using a magnifying glass and a sewing needle to pick up and place the parts (even the smallest tweezer i had was too big to pick up these parts).

Most reactions

Back