...just more gold and diamonds.

C'mon, Ron. If you are going to play the troll...

Hardly a troll Bitter. It is an honest observation; you were critical of a Chef who wanted to shoot his creations for promotion & yet here you are doing the same thing. I fault neither of you for doing it.

Sorry for diverting the thread.

I am not doing the "same thing".
I am not replacing a professional.
I am not new to photography.
I didn't need to ask what equipment I need to do this. I already knew, and had to wait for monies to buy what I need.
I have been shooting my own work since college.
I am at the point that I can confidently shoot work for others.
I didn't create a thread asking what I need to do this. (for $600-$800)
I HAVE the equipment.
I know the learning curve, from experience. I am way far ahead of the dude that thought he could do this himself, because it is soooo easy.
I didn't decide to do this on a whim, and try to sell my services as a beginer. Again, customers are impressed with the quality I achieve and are coming to me. I am ready!

Irony? No.
Your comment was trolling. You really wanted to get that "dig" in there.

You don't need get get so defensive about it... You think that you are above question? Get over yourself.

Nice shots, but don't be such a **** about a reasonable comment.

Oh dear... just wanted to say Bitter that you do amazing work on both ends now and Im even more impressed than before. Who is the ring for? Commisioned or? I dont think he's being defensive at all Rosshole, I think this is just the bluntness that is Bitter. You either like it or dont. And yes I have been on his receiving end. :sexywink:

Fair enough, but pointing out an observation doesn't make someone a troll.

I don't have the right to point out the differences in the situation that Ron has made sweeping assumptions about? Was his comment necessary here? Do you think he posted that as an innocent (uninformed) observation?

I like how you defend someones "right" to post an opinion, then deride a response.
Then you have the right to be degrading, but again, I guess I am not allowed to respond to that either.

Sorry, Dee.
It's for a customer, nobody special. Here's the long version about the ring...

This is my own design, reminiscent of the old "spoon ring". You know, where you cut the handle off some interesting piece of silverware, and bend it around to form a ring? This was a fun design that almost never happened. The customer wanted to make a new ring out of a very traditional yellow gold "right hand" ring. She was unhappy with the original because it looked to much like and engagement ring. In discussing what she likes and dislikes, she kept going back to "traditional design" and "symmetry". Basically we kept getting back to exactly what her ring was. She said she didn't like "Space Age" or "Modern". Great, my designs tend to be modern. She was a tough cookie. In talking, she said she wanted a "Saturday Night" ring. Something fancy she would mainly wear when going out. I asked her to trust me, and I came up with some drawings. Hesitantly, she picked this one. It is hard to tell, from a drawing, how a design is going to turn out. I had her approve the wax model I carved. That got her more excited about the design. I can't wait till she comes and picks this up. I think she will be stunned. My favorite part of doing custom work is the excitement when the customer sees the finished job for the first time. It makes all the long hours well worth it.

Often, in clean line designs like this, I like repeating a shape. Here, you can see the shape repeated in several ways. What you can't see is the underside of the ring which is a smooth curve, for comfort, which repeats the shape if you were to take a cross section. The inset on the right shows the detail and precision used in setting the large diamond to show off the stone, and line up the culet, or point, to the crease of the shank.

I think its amazing. Self proclaimed jewelry #$ore here lol. I obviously never realized your forum name was in any way connected to another proff duh. I cant wait to hear how she liked it. I read it was white gold. Whats the ctw of it and can I be extremely nosey and ask how much its selling for?

I like jewelery #$ores. :thumbup:

I don't know the total carat weight, it was a remount from an existing ring. I know the large diamond was about a 3/4 carat. My wholesale price was a little more than $600 for gold and labor. I don't know this particular stores markup, so it could be 2 to 3x. Some of the area stores bring their customers to me to work with. Sometimes I will travel to a store, but that's rare.

She was supposed to pick it up Monday, but hasn't come in yet. :grumpy:

(thanks for the compliments)

^

She jumped up and down and hugged me, several times.
I think she's happy. :mrgreen:

4544551779_5543b3206c_o.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back