Just need some advice plz

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by lozzperson, May 4, 2005.

1. lozzperson

lozzperson TPF Noob!

hey, woo this is my first post, anyway i gotta project to do called 'human form' & i'll be takin photos of semi nude people, probably just in their house so i just wondered if any of you could give me some advice on how to go about doing it and which iso film speed to use - cuz film speeds confuse me. cheers
    btw i dont think ive posted this in the right place lol soz

2. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

Welcome,
    Need to know a few things to give you a good recommendation.
    Color or B&W?
    What kind of camera and lens are you going to use?
    Are you using available light or trying to use some kind of lighting set-up?
    Will you be using a tripod?

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

Film speeds are pretty easy. A higher ISO number means the film is more sensitive to light. Which means that you can use a faster shutter speed or a smaller aperture. However, the higher the ISO of the film, the more grain you will see. ISO 100 would be a low ISO (slow film) and ISO 800 would be a high ISO (fast film).

Deciding which film to use really depends on a lot of factors. Usually, less grain looks better but sometimes a lot of grain makes for a nice effect. If you are using a tripod and have adequate lighting, then you would not need the extra 'speed' of a higher ISO, so you could use slower film to get sharper photos.

As for taking semi-nudes...your best bet would be to get some books on the topic...and pay specific attention to lighting. It's all about lighting.

4. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit

*ding!*

5. lozzperson

lozzperson TPF Noob!

Hey thanks for all your help ppl, very grateful,

In answer to these..
    i'll be usin b&w film
    a 35mm lens, cuz its all i got lol
    and i havent got any proper lights so its just gonna have to be indoor lighting
    and as for a tripod.. i wasn' planning on using one.

6. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Heavy subject. I know for sure it will take a lot of work. Look at the nudes of masters in paint and photography. The shape of the body will be most important. I would say that if you are using available light; find a south facing window. If you go with the table lamp set up; bounce the light off of a piece of foamcore or whatever. These set ups will produce soft light that I prefer. Ultimately it is up to you and the subject. Carefully consider the background. If it is too distracting it will kill the shot. When choosing film also consider that a slower ISO (25-100) speed will provide strong contrast. A higher ISO will provide "muddier" tones.

Do not forget the tripod. We can not wait to see the results.

7. lozzperson

lozzperson TPF Noob!

hey, thanks again for ya help ppl!, i'll do some research myself aswell just to get some ideas. soo i just hope they turn out ok :)