Just need some beginners advice

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by seesaw, May 29, 2007.

1. seesaw

seesaw TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I really enjoy photography and would love to someday be able to do portraits, especially children and families. I guess I don't know when I am good enough to start marketing myself. I think I do a good job, and I'm not embarrassed to show it off, but I wonder if I should be! Also, I don't have an SLR, so I'm limited there, but I feel comfortable with editting programs. Here's just a couple of pics. Is it too obvious that I'm just an amateur with a step above a point and shoot :) ? I am also in a very small town with only one other photographer, so I'm sure my definition of "good" may be below average!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Thank the Oklahoma wind for that hair in her face![​IMG]

So I welcome your thoughts on when you first decided to make the step from leisure photographer to someone who gets money. Thanks!

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Small town with only one other photographer. Sheesh... you are lucky... I'd jump on that opportunity quickly and become the second photographer in town.

I think you have a good start... start putting together a portfolio to show. Whether or not we like your photography, what really matters is the clients who hire you.

Btw... child photography is as much as a learning techniques to help bring out the smiles and good looks of an infant as much as it is techniques in photography.

#1 seems a bit sad or expressionless...
    #3 is better but crop the stuff in the lower left. A little too much hair in the face. It covers the girls good smile.
    #2 I like.

3. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Can you cook? Approach photography like a new dish- get some books, follow the directions until you can do what they say and then spice it up to suit yourself. :)

mike

4. Amper

Amper TPF Noob!

Hiya, also new ^_^
    I like the second best, but the other two aren't bad imho. As for being an amateur, I've seen many "Pro's" that seem as amateur as you and I, to me at any rate. I'd love to go Pro, but can't afford the classes or equiptment, even so I refuse to stop shooting ^_^. As there is only one other photog in town you may get lucky if you market yourself well. If you can build a nice portfolio and make some $ you could put it toward purchasing beter equiptment. Try starting with some random shooting and TFP shoots to build said portfolio and don't let anyone tell you it's a waste of time. Best of luck to you on your journey ^___^

5. seesaw

seesaw TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the encouraging remarks. Now to show just how new I am here- what does TFP stand for?

6. Amper

Amper TPF Noob!

Time For Prints. Basically they give you their time by modeling for you and in exchange you give them prints of the photos you took or print quality image files. It's something I learned from photographer Sandy Ramirez on Live Journal.

7. bjrouse

bjrouse TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Your exposures look good. Now just nail composition and you will be cooking with gas. Try not to just centre everything