just need some help

llewlovesdrift

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey

i saw this photo of a waterfall type thing but it used a long exposure so the water was blurred and misty - which looked quite cool. so last week i thought id try the same thing - i used a 8 second shutter speed but after said 8 seconds the picture was just white - i assume from the amount of light let in during those 8 seconds- so what do i have to do to take a photo like this?

You need to increase the f/stop to reduce the size of the aperture and therefore reduce the amount of light getting to the film/sensor.

For an exposure that length, you'll need a tripod or other support for the camera. A rock, fence post - something that won't move during the exposure.

8 seconds is a mighty long time. Waterfalls can usually be 'blurred' with speeds of 1/8 to 1 second.

If possible, choose a low ASA film and a heavily overcast day. That will keep you from running out of aperture settings. An accurate exposure meter and a tripod complete the gear package.

I'll be doing some of this in the NY Finger Lakes region in a couple of months. Films will be Plus X and Pan F.

Following on from what Torus said, i often feel that an exposure of around 1 second is enough to blur the water nicely but not turn it into milk or mist. Depending on the effect you're looking for

The exposure in this shot is 1/3 second and i used a tripod.

glenetivestream.jpg

Are you using film or digital? Shutter speed and water speed determines how to get the white fast water look. Deppending on the light you may need to go to a lower iso film or setting as well.

benhasajeep said:
Are you using film or digital? Shutter speed and water speed determines how to get the white fast water look. Deppending on the light you may need to go to a lower iso film or setting as well.

As a general rule you should always use the lowest ISO speed available to you no matter what you're shooting - unless you're looking for grain/noise for a specific reason.

Most reactions

Back