Just one today.

Steel26

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been taking a lot of pictures the last couple weeks. Here is just one of them that I liked. I may post more in the series later but I dont have time now. Let me know what you guys think of this.

dsc33932ah0.jpg

-Steel

The only thing that anoys me here is the top left window. I would prefer it to be black like the rest of the image. Probably quite a simple thing to do in photoshop.

I think the reflection from the window makes the shot. One wonders if it is really an abandoned house or if someone is there. I thinks it's a good image.

in fact its one of the few windows in the house thats not broken out. The old lady that lived there died. but no one did anything with the house. animals have gone in and ripped up the place but all the furniture and belongings are still there. Its kinda creepy.

I also like the single white window. Maybe opening up the shadows on just the house, or doing a little dodging would help bring out the texture of the wood. Then the white window wouldn't draw 'as much' attention. But I like it as is :)

Very cool. The window glow does not bug me. I like this abandoned feel you captured. Did you get inside and grab some shots. ?

Very cool. The window glow does not bug me. I like this abandoned feel you captured. Did you get inside and grab some shots. ?
The inside is pretty thrashed. Its been empty for 10-20yrs. It was kinda interesting reading the newspapers left in there though. I got some window shots with the shredded curtains. they were on a different thing though and i havent checked em out yet.

Knowing the story makes the image very sad. An old lady dies, presumably one who doesn't have any family to take care of matters after her passing. The house falls into disrepair and reminds us that it is abandoned and un cared for.

In my area, there is no such thing as an abandoned house. They either get fixed up quickly, or knocked down for something else to be built.

Where do you live?

Overall, I think it could use a bit more contrast.

dsc51641jw3.jpg

There is a shot from the inside. just a quick edit. I'm not really liking the angle on it.

I dont live there I was just visiting over chirstmas. But south dakota. the owner is an old family friend. out there its not uncommon to see abandoned houses and barns. I wish i had more time to shoot cause when i was driving around i saw some barns that were a barn photographers wet dream. There was a barn that was right behind this house. its ok but had some unappealing farm equipment around it. I got some shots. Im just starting to edit them I will post when they are ready.

oh and i did add quite a bit of contrast from the straight to gray scale version.

dsc33931ns1.jpg

thats straight to black and white.

Most reactions

Back