Just ordered my 7D.....need advice..

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Taylor510ce, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Taylor510ce

Taylor510ce TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just ordered my 7D, and now need to buy all new memory cards since my T1i took SD cards and the 7D takes CF cards. Can anyone recommend a decent card thats not as steep as the highend ones? How fast of a card should I have as a minimum? I will rarely use video. I was hoping to get some reliable 8GB cards for maybe 15 bucks a piece if possible.

2. cfusionpm

cfusionpm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  3. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I do not know if you can purchase a decent card for that kind of money. I would spend a little more and get a fast card to keep up with your new, very fast camera.:mrgreen:

What lens(es) do you own?

BTW:
    Congrats on the camera, I think you are really going to like it!

4. Taylor510ce

Taylor510ce TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My lenses are in my signature.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Kingston, I actually had been looking at that but was not sure if 133X would be enough. Newegg.com has a Transcend 8GB 133x for 18.99. I may pick up one of each. From the reviews, a few people claim to have used them in the 7D without any problems and were able to atleast shoot a couple bursts before it bogged down.

5. cfusionpm

cfusionpm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    One thing I noticed was not to get caught up in the 133x or 200x or 300x or whatever they call it. Look at the mb/s. That one does 20mb/s write, which while not amazing, will keep up with at least a handful of shots. I never tend to shoot more than 10-15 at a time (in JPG), but after some testing with that exact card in my 7D, it took about 135 pictures at full speed non-stop before it slowed down. I took my finger off the shutter button and it took about 6-8 seconds to finish writing to the card (it shows a progress bar on the back screen and top LCD). That dual digic IV chip setup helps a lot with buffer and speed. :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  6. Taylor510ce

Taylor510ce TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, thats what I was thinking. Everyone makes a big deal out of speed, but you have to realize that the buffer is really the biggest bottleneck to your speed. I mean, I doubt I am going to shoot nonstop constantly. If I am shooting fast sports I would probably take a few shots and pause for the next opportunity. So I didn't think it mattered that much. I mainly just want to balance price and quality. I do not want to go so cheap that I worry about losing a days take from a fault card. However, if it was extremely sensetive like a wedding, I would invest in top speed/reliability cards.

7. j-digg

j-digg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm, isnt the "133x" label pretty much directly linked to the MB/s?
    Ive read 133 = approx. 20mb/s and 400x = approx. 60mb/s. 600x = approx. 90mb/s etc.

8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    8-gigabyte cards for $15??????? Hmmmm.....

If you want to compare card speeds, check out Rob Galbraith's CF card database on his web site. That will give you a basis in fact for deciding what you can afford. I do not think $15 cards are the direction you'd want to go with a camera shooting 17.8 megapixel images.

9. LCARSx32

LCARSx32 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :drool:

How bout one that shoots 6MP? :lol: I need a new camera! :er:

10. UUilliam

UUilliam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Do not buy CF cards if you have SD cards, instead buy an adapter! that is what I did!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/SD-CF-II-Type-Adapter-Supports/dp/B000YZGCIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283414146&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: SD-CF II: SD to CF Type II Adapter (Supports SDHC MMC): Everything Else[/ame]

only $14 and you just put your sd card into it! and sd cards are cheaper than compact flash therefore it is much more handy!

The only thing is, if you want to do continuous shooting you need a fast card, and cf are usually quicker than SD but if you dont plan on taking 5 shots a second or w/e you are fine.

on my 20D (5.6fps.) i get a burst of 6 frames on RAW+jpeg but on jpeg small I get a burst of about 200 images. but my files sizes are smaller than the 7D

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
  12. Taylor510ce

Taylor510ce TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Haha, well maybe $15 was pushing it. I am looking at around $25 now. The Kingston looks pretty decent and actually was in a 7D bundle I almost bought from Adorama ( just didn't need all the other crap that came with it ).