Just out of curiosity...

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by rob91, Feb 27, 2008.

1. rob91

rob91 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    What does a more expensive digital camera do for you? The 8MP Canon 30d is a couple hundred more than the 10mp rebel xti, so I'm guessing that camera must have something going for it besides the megapixels. Moving beyond that, why spend 2k on a camera? What's it doing for you? The websites like to throw around marketing terms like "CMOS Sensor" but I don't know what that is or how that makes better pics.

I guess along the same lines, what does a very expensive film camera do for you? It was my assumption that with film it was mostly the lens, film, and shooter, what does a 1-2k camera do that the lower end models can't?

Thanks.

2. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    You have some very valid questions.

Between the 30D/XTi, a lot of it is the feel. At least, that's the main reason I upgraded to the 40D. But, some of the higher end cameras can handle noise better, can shoot more fps, can have more megapixels, can have more features, etc.

You're right though...as for IQ, the shooter & lenses play an even bigger part IMO

3. Take the Canon flagship dSLR, the 1D, and look at what it has. Then look at the XTi. Now see which of the pro components made it from 1D down to the 40D.

There's definitely a different sensor in each camera, as well as different processors, buffers, and shutter mechanisms, but there's also things like the material chosen for the housing.

Loads of differences!

4. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    With film you are for the most part right, However there are many different facets of the body that can effect how it takes pictures and/or how you interface with the body.

For example, my AE-1 is not capible of taking what I call a good night shot because it'e shutter speeds only go from 2s to 1/1000 and does not have a mirror lock. My EF however is capible of night photography with Shutter speed ranging from 30s to 1/1000 and a mirror lock. At the same time the F-1 has Interchangeable pentiprisms and focusing screens along with a handful of other options I did not understand.

5. rob91

rob91 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I understand there's more features, I guess I'm just looking for more of a practical explanation.

6. keith204

Photos OK to edit
    what's impractical about the responses?

7. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Practicality being not only what the difference is but how the difference effects the photo process and why it costs more...maybe

8. rob91

rob91 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There's nothing impractical about them, I'm just looking for a bit less jargon and more of "this is how it affects you when you're shooting". You make a good point with noise, and I'm sorry to say I don't really understand what FPS is, I guess I'll go look that up. My comments were more for Iron, while I appreciate the response I just don't know what any of that means, how it affects the shooting.

I also hadn't noticed Battou's post till after I replied, he brings up some good points as well.

9. keith204

Photos OK to edit
    Ah...makes sense. FPS is frames per second.

Sensor, processor, buffer, shutter mechanism...as Iron Flatline mentioned...

Sensor and processor will drastically impact image quality...This is the film of the digital camera.

Buffer...goes along with FPS. One time, I had a shoot where 50 dodge vipers flew past me... my job was to get a shot of each one of them in motion, with the background blurred. At the time I used my 40D, and I utilized the 6.5 FPS and the 75-image buffer. I simply would not have been able to capture that with my old Rebel XT's 3 FPS and much smaller buffer.

Shutter mechanism... the nicer cameras' shutter mechanisms are much better built than the entry level cameras like the XTi. I belive the XTi's shutter is rated at 50,000 clicks...where the 30D/40D has a rating of 100,000 clicks. It will simply last longer. Some in the 1D series have a 150,000 click shutter rating. VERY practical, especially for sports shooters.

10. rob91

rob91 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you:hail:

11. Shibby!

Shibby! TPF Noob!

I agree with you, but I see it in a different light. I have a an XTi. I bought it for the following reasons:

1) Price
    2) Relatively great performance for the buck.
    3) Cost if I damage it. I take my camera with me hiking, snowmobiling, dirt biking, etc. I fall. It gets crushed, wet, and abused. So far so good.

I know the more you spend on a camera, the longer the shutter will work. Problem is, how many max out their shutters before they upgrade? I know some do, but the good majority don't. For this reason, I don't think it's a very valid arguement for most.

I shoot action sports, and have yet to even require the continuous shooting. I know some use it, but I find you get a bunch of crappy pictures. I work on my timing and can capture most moments with precision. When I lend my camera out for buddies to take pictures of me, I find they don't use this same skill. For this, my buffer works good. The extra frames are nice for sequence shots though on fast subjects.

High priced cameras are built better. This is one thing I prefer. Better materials, better construction, and sometimes weather proofed. All big things to consider in my world.

With that all being said, I love my Xti. The ISO/noise ratio is terrible, but I shoot fast lenses and decent light so I don't have the biggest problem, however this is one of my main concerns, along with weather sealing.

I'll probably be looking to upgrade to the 40D in the future when the price drops a bit. Still have to look into it further, but from what I hear, it would likely be the last camera I buy for awhile.

Hope that information is helpful. Just a different view I share, which I think is more along the lines of what the poster is questioning. All depends what you want, what you need, and how much your willing to pay for it. Similar to most things in life =)

12. rob91

rob91 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When you run out of shutter clicks is your camera basically dead? It seems like it should be easy enough to fix.