Just purchased my first camera........

blwndr83

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went shopping today and came across a Canon T1I camera. Best buys was running a sale that actually ended today. So I paced around, played with the camera a bit, compared it to the Nikon cameras out there and all and all was pretty happy with all the options. I liked the way the Canon felt in my hands. I couldn't afford the package deal they had running right now, which was definetly worth the money but right now I couldn't afford it. So I have just the lens it came with for now. I haven't had a chance yet to play around with it cause the battery is charging. But I am wondering as far as upgrading the lens on it, what would be the best size lens to upgrade to??? I am going to mainly use the camera for my son's baseball games and my daughter's dance. It will be really nice to take some pictures from the bleachers and have close up shots instead of a 1 inch body that looks like my son lol. I am also interested in taking some landscapes. But was just interested in upgrading the lens eventually. I am totally new to the SLR camera and I am going to have to learn and teach myself as I go. Thank you for any help!!

guess it all depends on your budget for lenses but i'd say anything with a 200mm length for baseball games would be good.

i know they make a pretty decently priced 55-250mm canon lens thats really "slow" f/4-5.6 so if you got some low light or night games it may get a little blurry

I have the T1i as well as that 55-250 lens. The lens is decent if what you're shooting is well lit, it struggles in low light. Your daughters dance might be tough if the recital hall is too dark.

Since that was the first lens I bought, I'd still recommend it first. The next one I got after that was the EF 50mm f/1.8 II, which can be had at various online stores for $85-90. Definitely a must have for the budget shooter (like me).

I shoot with a T1i, and use a 70-300mm USM IS lens ( which is about $550 new ) if thats not within your budget, you can get a Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 without stabilization for about $175 brand new. I actually had that lens to begin with prior to getting the Canon lens. It works great if you are shooting outdoors in decent light and using a fast enough shutter speed. Its also very light weight, has a 6 year warranty and comes with a lens hood. ( The canon does not ). It constantly gets great reviews and listed as a "best buy" in magazines like Popular Photo, and Shutterbug and I believe it will also work on a full framed camera. Its by no means a high end lens, but in the "BUDGET" range its probably one of the best ones. It also has a Macro setting for 2:1 ( not great macro but pretty decent for the price point ) Its much better than the cheaper canon 70-300 in the same price range.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will definetely keep them written down so I can keep my eye open for them next time I am out.

Most reactions

Back