Just purchased Nikon D60, one question about the lens.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Cop J, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Cop J

Cop J TPF Noob!

I just picked up a used Nikon D60 w/ 18-55 VR kit lens on B&H for $369. Great deal in my opinion! This will be my first DSLR purchase and I am extremely excited to start using it. It should be in the mail on friday.

I really wanted this camera for mostly portraits, crisp pictures, and nice bokeh. I was looking to buy a 50mm f/1.8 lens but after spending that $369, I won't have any left over cash for the lens. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to sell the kit lens and just pick up the prime? I don't think I will be needing the zoom much. Also I am sure the 50mm f/1.8 is a lot more suitable for what I want to do.

I just am not sure if I will regret selling the kit lens in the long run. Is it that good of a lens? Better than the prime (Picture quality wise)? I guess I can buy it again if I wanted it down the road.

Any of you here use this lens? Any of you here only use a prime lens?

Also, I have been doing a lot of reading here about DSLR's and I pretty much have it all down pat. I just had one question about the 18-55mm lens. Since the shortest focal length is 18mm and longest is 55mm, this isn't much of a zoom lens compared to the 50mm prime.

Since the longest is 55mm, it can only zoom 5mm longer that the 50mm f/1.8, right? If that is the case, the 50mm is a better buy IMO.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    nifty 50 is a good lens.
    your kit lens is a decent walk around lens.
    Personally, since you are new in SLRs, rather then jumping with glass, learn the skill. Learn exposure, lighting, composition, etc. You can upgrade the lens later but you need to learn the basics.
    Good Luck

3. Darkhunter139

Darkhunter139 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  4. Cop J

Cop J TPF Noob!

Thanks for the comment. I have used my fathers Canon EOS Rebel XT for the last 3 years (once in a while), but have just used it as a point and shoot for birthday parties and events similar. Now that I have an interest, I have been using his to experiment with lighting, F-stops, exposure, shutters, etc. He has a 18-55mm kit lens and it has always seemed pretty good. Recently, I visited a camera store and got the opportunity to use the 50mm f/1.8. Although, I used it on a D90, the photos I took in the store looked EXTREMELY CRISP. The bokeh was beautiful and I was honestly blown away. (The store probably had nearly perfect lighting which most likely helped this)

That is why I am considering that lens. I know the prime can't zoom and it may be a hassle some times, but correct me if I am wrong, the 18-55mm lens can only zoom 5mm more. The fact that it can shoot at 18mm means that it is wider, but I guess I can back up if I need wider.

5. Cop J

Cop J TPF Noob!

Amazon.com: Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

There is the 50mm F/1.8 AF lens. What does the S stand for? Do I need that "S" to fit it on my Nikon D60?

6. o hey tyler

o hey tyler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wouldn't sell the kit lens simply because of the unfixed focal length. You're going to have to be moving a lot if you're doing anything more than set up portrait shots. You will really be missing the ability to zoom in and out. Also keep in mind that 18mm is SIGNIFICANTLY wider than 50mm.

7. Darkhunter139

Darkhunter139 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, you need an AF-S lens for it to auto focus on the D60 because it does not have a built in focus motor. Id look at the 35mm F/1.8 though its suppose to be a really good lens, I plan on getting one sometime down the road.

You wont get over $100 for the kit lens I dont think, I would not sell it. Practice with that and save up for the 35mm prime lens imo.

8. jnm

jnm TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the 50mm f/1.8 will be manual focus only on the D60. you need either the 50mm f/1.4 or 35mm f/1.8 if you want to use autofocus.

the 18-55 is a pretty decent lens. personally i wouldnt sell it for a prime as it leaves you with just a single focal length right now. down the line sure but even then, the money you get for it may not be worth losing a pretty decent cheapie lens that you can use in situtations you dont want to take a pricier lens to. your call though.

edit, damn you guys are fast.

9. PatrickHMS

PatrickHMS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ^^ What they say, GEEZ I can't type this fast...lol ^^

For the $80.00 - $100.00 you could sell it for the 18-55mm is a surprisingly nice lens, with good IQ for that kind of money. Sometimes having a range of focal length isn;t all bad. You already have the 50mm focal length covered, but the 50mm will shoot in lower light (but a flash will also compensate until you get it), and will produce better bokeh. If you didn't have a zoom lens, you would have to zoom with your feet.

If it were me, I would keep the 18-55mm as a walk around lens, and save till I got the $100.00 for a used 50mm (don't forget it will be manual focus on a D60) as a second lens.

Or just put it on a CC...lol

One nice thing - the 18-55mm and the 50mm BOTH use 52mm filters, so the CPL and ND filters you might buy in the future will fit on both lenses, as well as on the 55-200mm VR.

Happy shooting!!!!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  10. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Darkhunter is alluding to the fact the Nikon AF 50 mm f/1.8D won't auto focus on a D60 because it doesn't have a focus motor in the lens.

It does ssend distance info to the D60's CPU so it will light the in-focus indicator in the viewfinder when focus has been achieved manually.

The wider angles you can get with the AF-S 18-55mm will be very handy. That lens is quite good for a kit lens in that it's pretty sharp when used in it's aperture sweet spot range. Since the nifty-fifty prime is Nikon's least expensive prime lens, I'd save the money to get it later and have both.

11. Cop J

Cop J TPF Noob!

Didn't know that the Nikon 50mm F/1.8 AF won't autofocus on the D60. Any chance of nikon making a Nikon 50mm F/1.8 AF-S anytime soon. The price jump from the 1.8 to 1.4 or the 50mm to 35mm is to much for me.

I have never really used manual focus before. Is it extremely hard to use?

12. PatrickHMS

PatrickHMS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't forget about the Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8, but they sell for about $200.00.