Just Sharing...

I especially love #1 and #3. Did you use fill flash for #1? I often find it hard to get a good picture with such a bright background, and I hate having to carry my flash around. But, if you used it in that one, I may have to just stop being lazy and do it!

Nope, no flash. I have one but I RARELY use it. The little girl was in open shade and the brightness you see is the sun. I simply metered for her skin and bumped my exposre just a tad.

**I should note that I use a hand held meter becuase my camera just isn't trustworthy, whie my hndheld is dead on all the time!

Wonderful work, I really love that last one her eyes just drew me in. I also like the first one she looks like she's having so much fun. The rest are also great.

Wonderful work, I really love that last one her eyes just drew me in. I also like the first one she looks like she's having so much fun. The rest are also great.

She is laughing because her 1 yr. old baby brother was sitting at my feet and she was throwing the leaves on him, which he also found funny. lol. it was fun.

I can see why you are so busy, your pictures are amazing!!!!

Do you photoshop them or is that straight from the camera?

I can see why you are so busy, your pictures are amazing!!!!

Do you photoshop them or is that straight from the camera?

I do some things in photoshop (sharpening and tweaking my colors a bit) but a lot of it is done in camera. The biggest thing to getting great colors and great skin tones is to get your exposure right in camera. :thumbup:

How do you adjust exposure or make sure it is set correctly. Sorry if a dumb question, i'm a newbie.

First off, when you are first starting out, I recommend using a handheld meter and using it to get to know your camera. I used a meter for about my first year and then I learned to judge it by eye. I shoot with a Canon 5D and my camera is almost a full stop off. So, I meter in camera and then adjust, but every camera is different. (I have a backup 30D and it is only 1/2 stop off)

Also, you have to make sure you are metering for the right thing. I always meter for skin. A lot of people set their cameras on overall metering and your camera scans the entire frame and gives you an average meter, I have found it to be wrong 99% of the time.

There are times when I will meter for something other than skin, but 99% of the time that is what I meter and adjust to my taste. Mostly it takes time, patience, and practice.

HTH!

I LOVE these! The colors are beautiful. Very nice work.

First off, when you are first starting out, I recommend using a handheld meter and using it to get to know your camera.

Any suggestions on a meter I should purchase? I'm shooting with an XTI.

Thanks for being so responsive!

Any suggestions on a meter I should purchase? I'm shooting with an XTI.

Thanks for being so responsive!

Umm...you just need a simple one that is digital (the old school ones measure in candles and are just hard to use) and measure ambient light (which I believe they all do!). The one that I have is a digital sekonic that I bought used for less than $100. (mine is also a flashmeter for my studio stuff) Try looking on www.keh.com, they sell used stuff and I've bought from them and everything was in great shape!

HTH

These are beautiful - and I LOVE your new avatar pic - too cute. ;)
I have a ? - what lens(s) did you use?

Whats funny is I have about seven or eight lenses that I paid a lot of money for but the only two I ever use for kids is 50mm 1.4 and my 85mm 1.4. Occasionally I'll use my 20mm to get a wide shot but very rarely.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back