Just some early info - please read

This sounds interesting. :D
Still I have to admid I'll miss this look....so did someone of you code it yourself? :)

Chase said:
We're going with VBulletin :)

Thats it Chase...beautiful..heres my, TRYING to keep it a surprise, and what do you do? its just fantastic thats what it is...

(did I really say that? IM SORRY CHASE!!!!)

Chase said:
Someone splashed the cash. :shock: :mrgreen:

The new vbb's do take some getting used to! I still feel lost with their layout sometimes. :oops:

Chase said:

Cool, I was thinking of moving to that for my forum, you get to be the guinea pig.

One big advantage of vbulletin (though I don't know if it is an upgrade or not, is the direct inclusion of photos in messages. No more offline hosting like photobucket required. This is the main reason this is being considered for my site.

Do you mean you're allowed to attach images Scott? I can't think of one forum software that doesn't have that feature. Most sites turn it off because it eats up your space and bandwidth.

ferny said:
Do you mean you're allowed to attach images Scott? I can't think of one forum software that doesn't have that feature. Most sites turn it off because it eats up your space and bandwidth.

In the Flypast forum, the only one I know that uses Vbulletin, you can upload the pictures so that they appear in te message, just like we can do here except we have the additional step of going to photobucket. Thats always been the biggest advantage Flypast has had over my forum. Though of course thier forum crashes for weeks or in one case months at a time

So you do mean the bit in the reply window which works the same way as Photobucket? It asks you to search for a file on your hdd? That's file attachments. You upload the file to the forum and it is hosted there. All software has it. If you can't find the option in your admin panel (it's been a couple of years since I ran a forum so I can't help at the moment) ask on the site of the people who make the software.
Be warned, it will eat into your bandwidth in a big way.

not that I know anything really but the image upload is an option on this type of board but would not automatically be used. It would definitly eat bandwidth especially on a photoforum so I can't see it being feesable to do here.

I just didn't want a rumor starting then people getting disapointed when they had to find a host for their photo's somewhere else.

Heck I could be way off base!

"Look at me babble"

:shock:

As far as I know, we aren't planning on hosting the images on vBulletin. It would take up a huge amount of space as well as bandwidth. Then again...I could be completely off base here.

You're right on the money. I could see it working on a non-image based forum, but it would cost me a forture here!

Maybe if we sold some sort of special "account" that allowed you to upload images, but I think more people would rather go find the freebie sites for image hosting.

Yes, Ive seen it used on other forums before and its eaten up their bandwidth and they weren't even sites dedicated to images. It would take Chase under and we don't want that happening!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back