22254952_852169858283308_1566566230633819062_o.jpg
22256607_852313401602287_2368178769762216313_o.jpg
22181192_852155078284786_8350612701148579230_o.jpg
20171005150849_IMG_6933-01-01.jpeg
22220050_852187961614831_4977645097787330658_o.jpg
22181284_852061208294173_2444367131704967392_o.jpg
0410-2017-082954591913187766-01.jpeg
22219977_852248021608825_5626125252914173528_o.jpg

Was my dad's birthday and he came to see me and I snap a picture of him on his bike.

I agree with JC on the lighting, but backgrounds in several are just as nice to me. I like the way it compliments the blouse color in #2. Your wife looks like she is starting to enjoy you " bothering " her with pics.

Well done! Enjoyed all of these.

I think you're starting to find your groove. Good set

awesome work! Are you shooting with the 105mm ?

awesome work! Are you shooting with the 105mm ?
A 135 mm. And thanks

Alright, all positive responses all around! I'm doing something right lol.
I been putting in the practice but I still need a lot more and posing, well.. I need a tremendous amount.
I have been wanting to learn Photoshop and was recommended a book and that book has lessons and then you work through projects and it has been wonderful! It has helped me a lot. Where the youtube videos I would get lost and couldn't find a tool, slider or whatever and would get frustrated and just quit watching. However, I been thinking about buying the Jake Olson videos and for 14 dollars, it's not that much of a gamble. But at the price, I don't know. I'm a believer in you get what ya pay for.
I still would love to learn more about colors and I guess color grading it's called.

Last edited:
Dean_Gretsch said:
I agree with JC on the lighting, but backgrounds in several are just as nice to me. I like the way it compliments the blouse color in #2. Your wife looks like she is starting to enjoy you " bothering " her with pics.

OMG---the BACKGROUND in that shot, with that lovely wine-colored foliage and the amazing bokeh balls...just an amazing backdrop! I am not a fan of putting a lvoely woman in a demure type of pose off to the short side of the frame like that...to me, that 2/3 empty space, 1/3 with subject is not good composition in this case, but she looks lovely,and the backdrop is simply __superb__! So...yeah,,I had a positive feeling about shot #2, despite the off-balance placement of her looking "out of the frame" from the so-called "short side".

Yeah...she looks like she's definitely enjoying this amateur modeling stuff. You're improving every week, I think! That 135mm lens has such a nice rendering of people and the physical world. No wonder it's such a popular Canon prime lens!

Nicely done!

Cropping cannot entirely compensate for shooting-time decisions, but still...eliminating the large open area to the left side of the frame changes your shot #2 quite a bit. This is a simple crop, not edited in any way...
evertking_model_wife.jpg

Cropping cannot entirely compensate for shooting-time decisions, but still...eliminating the large open area to the left side of the frame changes your shot #2 quite a bit. This is a simple crop, not edited in any way...View attachment 147825
I do like that better, a lot better, in fact.
I tend to stick to the rule of thirds and not venture out. But I like that

I loved the lighting in the shots as it makes the pictures look wonderful.

Cropping cannot entirely compensate for shooting-time decisions, but still...eliminating the large open area to the left side of the frame changes your shot #2 quite a bit. This is a simple crop, not edited in any way...View attachment 147825
I do like that better, a lot better, in fact.
I tend to stick to the rule of thirds and not venture out. But I like that

Okay...I do not believe in The Rule of Thirds. And one reason is that simply placing her off to the short side of the frame at a 1/3 position, and having her looking outward, toward the "short side" of that frame, causes a HUGE degree of visual tension. Second, the so-called Rule of Thirds under discussion here is a modern-era invention from Popular Mechanics magazine, and it ignores basic visual science stuff. In the fine arts, there are elements and principles of design, and one concept under that rubric is line of gaze; in almost ALL of the famous, classic portraits of the history of the world, there is some type of a line of gaze of the subject (eyes-closed and faceless shots being exceptions, many times, but not always), the subject gazes in a definite direction. Allowing her MORE space to look into would have changed the shot hugely to your benefit, so the 1/3 of the frame placement was used exactly in reverse...and so, when cropping the shot down to rectify the visual tension and to reduce tension and bring about more visual harmony between subject and camera frame orientation, I felt that the left-side backdrop's color and bokeh balls were both staggeringly beautiful, so I compromised on the amount of space I allowed to remain to the frame's left-hand side.

One cannot simply plop a person looking camera-right onto the right-hand side 1/3 line and make a good shot with the left 2/3 all backdrop. Had she been placed on the left-hand side of the compositon and allwoed to "look into" the empty space, the shot would have been better.

I cropped off the empty space, but really hated to lose the upper left hand corner bokeh balls...so I cropped it as close as I felt I could,and still keep those bokeh balls...the cropped, squareish frame I made from your original shot is just a better look at HER, the ostensible subject of the portrait. That you like it better is not surprising, since it's been cropped to reflect more traditional visual science and artistic ideas we've codified for centuries now. The "Rule of Thirds" is not really very useful; again, one cannot just place a subject at a "point" and ignore centuries' worth of compositional practices. Not trying to lecture, but trying to take the time to describe WHY the crop is so different from the 2/3 empty, 1/3 her, visually tense way the original had been framed up.

Your motorcycle shots show a more-traditional, better compositional strategy. And yet still, you might want to think more about photographing a standing woman in a tall camera orientation, and not cutting her off in the torso or lower chest area in such a manner as was done in some of these...talls...not wides...and maybe squares!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back