Just Starting Out - C&C Welcomed

rjackson02

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently decided to learn how to use an SLR Camera, so wanted to share a few shots. Let me know what you think and any suggestions to improve my composition/exposure.

Taken with a Nikon D60 in aperture priority.

3619837181_b02334e4c5.jpg

3619844417_d342163615.jpg

3620665364_586c6da504.jpg

Very nice.

Watch your horizon line.
I like the 3rd one the most.

Very nice. The colours of the third are great. As Bitter said though, watch your horizong line; large bodies of water don't slant upward. ;)

I enjoy all three of them. Nice job!

The first and third pictures are really good, but yeah, the horizon should be straightened. The second image is really nice too, but it doesn't need the bottom portion with the railings.

wow great set...doesn't look like your someone who is just starting. I agree with the horizon lines watch out for that! :thumbup:

I think your off to a great beginning. I like all of these, but will repeat what others have said that the horizon is a bit tilted. I'm going to disagree with Samanax though on the second one ;); personally, I feel the person standing on the dock in the foreground of the photo adds a nice mood to the scene.

I agree about the second photo. I wanted something to make it more than just another sunset. I think the railing and the person add a little something to the photo.

Keeping the horizon straight is the hardest part for me. Even when taking these pictures, I was watching the horizon and trying my best to keep it straight, but I guess I don't have a great eye for it. Does anyone have any suggestions/techniques that help?

One shameless bump - any suggestions about keeping horizons straight?

Level on the tripod
Level in the hotshoe
I sometimes use my AF points in the view finder (left most and right most) as guides along the horizon lines.
If all else fails, a quick adjustment in photoshop (or other editing software) works

Most reactions

Back