just thought id like to share this funny warning with you guys

Perhaps you should read the court transcript of the coffee case. She sued because the coffee was significantly hotter than a reasonable person would expect. Doubt me? Brew coffee at home. Pour a cup and stick your finger in it. You'll be somewhat uncomfortable yet she received third degree burns.

I'm aware of the situation in the McDonalds case. The coffee was unusually hot. She spilled it and got burned. It was a bad situation.

Putting a label on the cup would not have prevented her from spilling the coffee and it would not have prevented the coffee from being served unusually hot. A case like that would be justified. That one instance is not my point.

My point is that we have sunk to a dangerous level of an entitlement society that feels they are owed something for simply existing. If they are wronged in some way, due to their own fault or not, they are encouraged to sue for it, and often do.

The labels were put on there to at least help reduce the lawsuits from the idiots that spilled a normal cup of coffee in their lap and try to sue for it because some other lady did.

I agree with you. I just get upset at persons that ridicule the McDonalds case without having the slightest clue regarding what transpired. It already happened in this thread with iPhoto17's post and the post that followed mine. Like many others, EhJsNe wasn't bothered about what really happened and didn't care to really read my post but, rather, stormed ahead with his/her own invented beliefs.

His

And Im perfectly aware of what happened. Seriously do you find it not funny in any way shape or form that someone sued for spilling coffee on herself?
If she received 3rd degree burns, then hell yes sue! There is no reason in the world for a cup of coffee to be that hot! But the essence of what happened is the funny thing. (Rrg, I felt like I just rambled on about the same thing just reworded like my dad does....*blekh*)

Learn to notice this nifty thing many people use here called "A Joke" Theyre easy to find when emoticons such as :lol: and :lmao: are used.

I'm aware of the situation in the McDonalds case. The coffee was unusually hot. She spilled it and got burned. It was a bad situation.

Putting a label on the cup would not have prevented her from spilling the coffee and it would not have prevented the coffee from being served unusually hot. A case like that would be justified. That one instance is not my point.

My point is that we have sunk to a dangerous level of an entitlement society that feels they are owed something for simply existing. If they are wronged in some way, due to their own fault or not, they are encouraged to sue for it, and often do.

The labels were put on there to at least help reduce the lawsuits from the idiots that spilled a normal cup of coffee in their lap and try to sue for it because some other lady did.

I agree with you. I just get upset at persons that ridicule the McDonalds case without having the slightest clue regarding what transpired. It already happened in this thread with iPhoto17's post and the post that followed mine. Like many others, EhJsNe wasn't bothered about what really happened and didn't care to really read my post but, rather, stormed ahead with his/her own invented beliefs.

His

And Im perfectly aware of what happened. Seriously do you find it not funny in any way shape or form that someone sued for spilling coffee on herself?
If she received 3rd degree burns, then hell yes sue! There is no reason in the world for a cup of coffee to be that hot! But the essence of what happened is the funny thing. (Rrg, I felt like I just rambled on about the same thing just reworded like my dad does....*blekh*)

Learn to notice this nifty thing many people use here called "A Joke" Theyre easy to find when emoticons such as :lol: and :lmao: are used.

The essence of what happened is that she received third-degree burns. I do not consider that to be funny in any manner, shape or form.

His

The essence of what happened is that she received third-degree burns. I do not consider that to be funny in any manner, shape or form.

So your telling me that saying a lady went in to mcdonalds...received third degree burns...and sued.

Thats a complete story eh?

If you said "A lady went into mcdonalds, spilled coffee upon herself, and sued" it would make perfect sense.

Or even better, we can agree on "A lady went into mcdonalds, spilled coffe on herself, got 3rd degree burns, and sued" and call it good and forget I ever tried to have a sense of humor.

Personally I understand the situation. If I went into McDonalds, bought a coffee, then accidentally spilled it on myself. Cause I mean, comeon, we'd all like to believe we're unable to make mistakes but **** happens. I know I've spilled a drink on myself at least once or twice. Except this lady accidentally spilled the drink and the coffee was so hot that it actually gave her 3rd degree burns.

So of course McDonalds should have some sort of notification that their coffee may be not just hot, but scalding hot. That is why they won the suit, it makes sense from a legal point of view.

Few facts:
The lady was 79 years old.
The coffee is served at 190 degrees, hot enough to cause 3rd degree burns within 2-7 seconds.
McDonalds admitted that the coffee was not fit for human consumption at the temperature they served it.
Over 700 men, women, and children had been burned prior to that case.
The old lady offered to settle the case if they just pay her medical bills and they refused.

So yeah.. while it's easy to think of it as some dumb clumsy fat lady not paying attention and spilling it on herself, that isn't the case. It wasn't that funny and 3rd degree burns all along your thigh and genitals is no laughing matter.

In my opinion they shouldn't heat their coffee up so high that it's unfit to drink and can cause serious bodily harm. You're just going to have to wait for it to cool off and I'm sure most people would rather drink it asap.

Personally I understand the situation. If I went into McDonalds, bought a coffee, then accidentally spilled it on myself. Cause I mean, comeon, we'd all like to believe we're unable to make mistakes but **** happens. I know I've spilled a drink on myself at least once or twice. Except this lady accidentally spilled the drink and the coffee was so hot that it actually gave her 3rd degree burns.

So of course McDonalds should have some sort of notification that their coffee may be not just hot, but scalding hot. That is why they won the suit, it makes sense from a legal point of view.

Few facts:
The lady was 79 years old.
The coffee is served at 190 degrees, hot enough to cause 3rd degree burns within 2-7 seconds.
McDonalds admitted that the coffee was not fit for human consumption at the temperature they served it.
Over 700 men, women, and children had been burned prior to that case.
The old lady offered to settle the case if they just pay her medical bills and they refused.

So yeah.. while it's easy to think of it as some dumb clumsy fat lady not paying attention and spilling it on herself, that isn't the case. It wasn't that funny and 3rd degree burns all along your thigh and genitals is no laughing matter.

In my opinion they shouldn't heat their coffee up so high that it's unfit to drink and can cause serious bodily harm. You're just going to have to wait for it to cool off and I'm sure most people would rather drink it asap.

I'm glad to see that someone took the time to learn what really happened. As I said, this is no laughing matter.

The problem with America is stupidity. I’m not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don’t we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

The problem with America is stupidity. I’m not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don’t we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

I wasn't aware that America was the only one with safety labels..

So we're the only ones with labels on our coffee?

You don't understand. The labels are there to protect Californians.

.. or just to protect the company itself from liability.

Which I'd bet 99% of safety labels are there for.

But of course I guess they kinda help people out too sometimes.. but I don't think that was a top priority.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back