Just to Inflame you.

usayit said:
I sometimes shoot in program mode.... when I'm too busy doing other things and don't mind something else worrying about exposure on my behalf

I sometimes shoot aperture priority.... when I've got DOF in mind...

I sometimes shoot shutter priority.... when I've got motion stop in mind...

I sometimes shoot in full manual mode.... when I want full control over everything. Slows me down... makes me observe.. makes me compose.

I sometimes shoot in evaluative metering mode... when I don't mind the camera doing that too.

I sometimes shoot in spot metering mode... when I want to take readings from specific points and take advantage of my camera(s) multi-spot meter. (I love this metering mode)

I sometimes shoot without a meter at all.... when I feel like enjoying the whole shooting with a vintage camera experience.

I sometimes shoot digital.... when its techno-advantages serve me. When my geeky side wants a voice.

I sometimes shoot B&W film.... when I see my self in the darkroom slaving for the perfect print.

I sometimes shoot with medium format... when I see a need for a no compromising negative to enjoy in the darkroom.

I sometimes shoot.... just because....

and I could care less what other people think...
yah, thats cool, but i still think (yes i see the irony in that you said you dont care what i think, but you posted it, so obviously you deserve some reply) theres no reason shooting program mode when you've got aperture priority at least.
2framesbelowzero said:
trying telling that to an astronaut :sexywink:

that's a relief. you wouldn't want to be just talking in 'programme-mode', and not doing the thinking (which is important!) :sexywink:

it annoys you and you consider it cheesy. that's fine. that's allowed.

programme mode is convenient. if a computer understands exactly what i want to do, i'm happy to let it decide the settings.

i've used a 35mm slr for over 25 years. when i select 400 iso on the dial, i don't know what's really occuring mechanically/electronically/piezo-electrically (?) that feeds those parameters to the light-meter.
i don't really care either.

the same thing when i drive a fuel-injected car, instead of one with a mechanical carburetor.
right, no problem with that. im not saying dont let the camera do anythin. but what mode do you shoot in, aperture priority? shutter priority? manual? fully auto or 'program'?

GEESH, people seem to think im advocating all manual, and never letting the cam do anything. i use aperture priority usually.
My point is that so much can be achieved if you actually think about your shot, rather then just going snap happy and not wanting learn about how light works. don't get me wrong, i'm only criticising those who can't be bothered learning, and those who use it when they don't have to.
'I use it when I don't really care, and im just shooting my kids, if i need control, i know how to use it' --> please dont post that here, obviously im not criticising that, im criticising using it cos you're stupid or lazy or both.

props to the guy with the band shooting joke>
and to the guy with the counter joke about the band being blur.

right, by PROGRAM
i mean FULL AUTO
aperture priority and shutter pri. don't count.

My point was that there is a need and time for everything... and what I mean about "don't care" is that I "don't care" about what other people think about those specific modes.... its a tool and how you make use of it (I posted how I use them)... but a true photographer could make a wonderful photo given any tool.

Feel free to use what ever mode you feel works for you. I use all of them depending on many things (aperture / spot being the most often).

Of course I care what people "think" in general... why would I be on the internet... interaction with people in general with an OPEN MIND without JUDGEMENT is the key to learning.

Luke said:
obviously im not criticising that, im criticising using it cos you're stupid or lazy or both.
It wasn't obvious to many of us because of the over-the-top way you stated it.

My personal observation has been that many photographers go through stages. Early on, there is a lot of experimentation. Things like old barns, cemeteries, selective coloring, fancy digital frames, etc., all can seem cliché to those who have been photographing for a long time (or at least looking at photographs for a long time), but for someone who's in that experimenting stage, they have to suss out what works for them and what doesn't. It's rare for me not to find a selectively colored image more distracting than creative, but just because that's where I am. It doesn't stop people from enjoying them or experimenting with them.

There's another stage that many photographers go through. After learning a bit and finding some things that work (or don't work) for them, they can become judgemental of those that are still experimenting with these things. They can feel superior about their bit of knowledge, or at least use it as a way of showing themselves that they've gotten somewhere. After some time, that can lead to acceptance as they understand that the world of photography is so much bigger than just where they themselves are at this very moment.

And back to the "lazy or stupid", well, I do agree that it's good for people to think for themselves, but if someone is lazy, then they are making the choice that the effort of paying attention to exposure isn't worth it for them. So be it. If they are stupid, well, is that their fault?

hi Luke
yea me too - aperture priority. nearly always..with my film camera.
when i had a digital, i'd use manual or programme.

Luke said:
right, by PROGRAM
i mean FULL AUTO
aperture priority and shutter pri. don't count.

But program is not the same thing as full auto. At least not on canon cams, and I don't think on Nikons either (considering they have options on the dial for both auto and program like canons do). You're right, full auto should never be used. But program is nice because it will make its decisions for you, but still allow you to change things if you want. And I think it's just wrong to say that Program should never be used, considering that you're not actually giving up manual control; instead, the camera is simply recommending a starting point for you, at which point you can adjust any of the aspects of the exposure as you see fit.

I have taken several thousand photos in full program mode on my old Canon A1 or AE1P with fabulous results

Full auto is helpful for those whose eye-sight is dwindling even though they have enjoyed a lifetime of manual (film) photography, like in my dad's case whose one eye turned blind but he STILL would like to take some good photos.

I have started out photographing with my SLR in full auto and have gradually, in a learning-by-doing manner, worked my way to manual. On the DSLR now ... and I enjoy it more, I do admit.

markc said:
It wasn't obvious to many of us because of the over-the-top way you stated it.

My personal observation has been that many photographers go through stages. Early on, there is a lot of experimentation. Things like old barns, cemeteries, selective coloring, fancy digital frames, etc., all can seem cliché to those who have been photographing for a long time (or at least looking at photographs for a long time), but for someone who's in that experimenting stage, they have to suss out what works for them and what doesn't. It's rare for me not to find a selectively colored image more distracting than creative, but just because that's where I am. It doesn't stop people from enjoying them or experimenting with them.

There's another stage that many photographers go through. After learning a bit and finding some things that work (or don't work) for them, they can become judgemental of those that are still experimenting with these things. They can feel superior about their bit of knowledge, or at least use it as a way of showing themselves that they've gotten somewhere. After some time, that can lead to acceptance as they understand that the world of photography is so much bigger than just where they themselves are at this very moment.

And back to the "lazy or stupid", well, I do agree that it's good for people to think for themselves, but if someone is lazy, then they are making the choice that the effort of paying attention to exposure isn't worth it for them. So be it. If they are stupid, well, is that their fault?
yeah nicely put, i suppose you don't see many pros doing selective colouring, its more a fun thing, so i guess im just being reactive. anyway, it's not that i feel superior to people that use full auto, it's just that i think that if you can get nice results with full auto, imagine what you could do with manual, and if you had a goood understanding. i've not been shooting long, only about a year, but im bias to the way i started which was a lot to do with thinking bout exposure etc, and then when i see people that just go and take some nicely (or poorly i guess) composed pictures on full auto it annoys me because i think, gee, they're sorta wasting that talent/skill in composition, if they spent the learning time, then thered be no limits.
yeah, lazy is a bad thing to be, but you cant help being stupid i guess....

Unimaxium said:
But program is not the same thing as full auto. At least not on canon cams, and I don't think on Nikons either (considering they have options on the dial for both auto and program like canons do). You're right, full auto should never be used. But program is nice because it will make its decisions for you, but still allow you to change things if you want. And I think it's just wrong to say that Program should never be used, considering that you're not actually giving up manual control; instead, the camera is simply recommending a starting point for you, at which point you can adjust any of the aspects of the exposure as you see fit.
yeah, sorry, terminology conflict, i shoot old camera, so program means, no control, i remember using my friends EOS, prgramon that is awesome, like aperture and shutter priority in 1.

Luke said:
if they spent the learning time,
What makes you conclude that they aren't learning?

i've not been shooting long, only about a year

Oh thank God for that. At first I thought you were a novice but you must at least be an expert by now.

So if you judge others as lazy or stupid because they don't do as you do, then based on your spelling and poor grammar, am I to judge you as being stupid? Or are you being lazy? Do you see my point?

Does it really matter what mode people shoot in?

If it really, truly bothers you that much, then take the time to teach them how to do it the way you think is right. You may even find out that they are not really lazy or stupid. Just lacking knowledge.

Most reactions

Back