just wondering?

omama

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Being that this is a beginner board...........do most of you use a DSLR and am I in the minority with my point N shoot.
I'm finding that the more I get into this hobby, the more I desire to upgrade.

it's not wrong of you to be here though.... i see lots of members that have been here for a year and are just getting their DSLR now...

feel free to ask whatever you like and learn as much as you can..

There is also a lot of people on here who have point & Shoots and advanced point & shoots too. I use an advanced point & shoot myself. But I also have film slrs too. Which are also great.

I think most here have some kind of SLR. It just provides much more control and flexibility than your typical point and shoot. And with DSLR coming down in price, even beginners can pick one up pretty cheap and learn to take some great photographs.

Thanks everyone. Dearleader, I can see that pretty much everyone here is super generous about sharing their experience and knowledege but I just wanted to make sure, thank you. I've read forums far and wide actually looking for one that was for pns only but I think this beginner board is the best.
macdsean; Ok, yeah, a inexpensive DSLR sounds really good to me right now. I thought about a DSLR "like" model but i guess if I upgrade I should prolly go the whole way. While I'm shopping, I know I have a lot more to learn about my camera. BTW where do all the used cameras go when you upgrade because new tempting models come out all the time? I have a feeling that most of you become attached and Keep and collect your cameras like I do my old tshirts.:D

My Ex GF, my mum, and even I myself managed to get great images out of p&s cameras.

You have more creative possibilities with SLRs (or with even more expensive rangefinders ;)) though.

I used a film slr for a few years in HS, then bought an advanced P&S first semester of college and then made the DSLR leap the second semester of college.

No need t hurry into a dslr, you can learn quite a bit from your point and shoot if it has all the manual settings.

And I do stress using the manual settings. Like everything else in life, practice makes perfect.

When I first joined this site I was using a Kodak P&S, only got the DSLR at the beginning of the year. After seeing so many great pics here and thinking I wanted to do/try things like that I realised I wasn't going to be really able to do them with a P&S. I like the greater control that an SLR has over a P&S :)

I am trying to use manual. I don't know if this is right but first I set the ISO and I know it gets noisy real fast if I try anything over 200. Then I pick a shutter speed and then the apeture, which again, since its a p&s, I don't have a huge choice. But is it cheating that I do all that and make my choices pretty much by what I'm seeing on the LCD screen. It takes the guessing out but I wonder if I should be learning what shutter speed is right in my head for whatever light I'm in.
I do use auto when I'm in a fast moving situation and might be embarrassed by making ppl wait while I fiddly fart arount with my settings.....but I usually don't like what I get.
Its all a big experiment at this stage. Thank god for digital!

I was talking to a photographer at a wedding one time, and he told me some of the real pros, including one of his close friends who shoots for National Geographic, actually captured more photos he's proud of with a P & S than his DSLR. Not sure if that's true or not. Sounded interesting at the time though..

Most reactions

Back