K-1000

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by ltw198734, Jul 31, 2003.

1. ltw198734

ltw198734 TPF Noob!

I have a Pentax K-1000 and i was wondering if I should replace it or not...and if I should wiht what?

2. KBOC

KBOC TPF Noob!

The K-1000 is one of the grandaddy most popular cameras in history for good reason.

If you're good with that camera, you're good with anything.

If you wants to part with it for something fancier, I know there's at least one person around here that would probably want it from you.

3. dlc

dlc TPF Noob!

Hang on to it!!! One of the best and most reliable cameras ever made. Even if you buy new, it's a good one to keep if it works OK. A camera is never too old if it works.

4. ltw198734

ltw198734 TPF Noob!

Ok Thanks, I'll hold on to it, I don't know if i'm that good thought.

5. ismael

ismael TPF Noob!

I've had mine for over 15 years and it is still my primary camera. During all these years, I've taken it to service only once, for cleaning after shooting off-road mud rallies in the rain. I have a Pentax MV-1 as a backup, a Sony Digital, a Yashica MAT 124G medium Format, and now I'm thinking about an AF system. But the K-1000 will ALWAYS be my best and most trusted camera.
    So, yes, keep it. Or I can take good care of it.... :wink:

Thanks,
    Ismael

6. jenny

jenny TPF Noob!

I love this camera. It's truly a workhorse camera. This was my first SLR given to me by my father. I still have it. Unfortunately I loaned it to someone and they put alcohol on the lens to remove what they thought was a hair. They took off the emulsion and now everytime I look through the viewfinder, it looks like someone took a big black marker to it. :x My cousin who is a pro photographer says it is too expensive to replace. I still love the camera though. Definitely keep it.

7. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Are you saying the mirror is messed up? The lens wouldn't show black marks through the veiwfinder. Shouldn't be that much to replace the mirror.

8. jenny

jenny TPF Noob!

Actually it would be the mirror. It wouldn't be the lens. You are right. How much do you estimate it should cost. I think i might have gotten some ridiculous quote from a vendor.

9. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I couldn't imagine it costing more than $100 from a reputable camera repair person. I was quoted $95 to replace the mirror, ground glass and clean the lenses on my rolleiflex.

10. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Unfortunately it's not the parts that are expensive, it's the labor. If you are getting a 35mm SLR repaired in the USA it'll probably be a minimum of $75, and possibly more.

I absolutely love K-1000s, but I have to admit, it's probable that it would actually be cheaper to replace it with another used K-1000 than repair it. On the other hand your lens is still good. Look for a K-1000 body without the lens or one with a different lens than you already have. I see K-1000s with an f/2 50mm lens all over the place for $75 to $125. Keep your eyes peeled and you can probably find an even better deal.

11. jenny

jenny TPF Noob!

Cool, thanks! I will keep my eyes open for those. It just sucks that mine is damaged since it was my first SLR ever and it was handed down to me by my dad.