K, more photos for C &C

sheyene29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just wanted to start by saying that I really don't mind harsh critiques, as long as its followed up with why you don't like it and what could have been done to make the pictures better. That is how us Noobies learn :D, so now having said that please be completely honest, if you really don't like them I don't mind, that means its back to the drawing board until I finally get a picture that wows you guys lol!!

Ok, enough rambling, here they are......

023b-1.jpg

027-1-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

Thanks PhotoDonkey :D, At first I wasn't sure I like that picture but I looked at it again and it kind of grew on me. The first one is pretty underexposed wasn't it?

Very nice. Well executed B&Ws - my only comment would be that they seem a little dark, 'though it may just be my crappy work monitor.

Very nice. Well executed B&Ws - my only comment would be that they seem a little dark, 'though it may just be my crappy work monitor.

The first one is for sure too dark, I was playing with the exposure and at the same time trying to get the light from the setting sun peaking over that mountain. I tried to do an auto exposure correction (in Nero) on that one and it didn't change it at all.

A suggestion: When you're in tricky exposure situations, and you don't have a lot of time, try bracketing, or, if your camera doesn't have that functionality, just make several exposures, varying a couple of stops either side of what the metre says is correct.

A suggestion: When you're in tricky exposure situations, and you don't have a lot of time, try bracketing, or, if your camera doesn't have that functionality, just make several exposures, varying a couple of stops either side of what the metre says is correct.

I was actually just looking at that feature on my camera and booklet today, I'll definetly try that out next time!

Thank you so much for the hint/advice!:thumbup:

I really like #3, the first two look dark to me. I really need to take some B&W's. Is this something you set on the camera itself, or post editing?

Picasa (free download) has a nice feature called "Add Fill Lighting". I used it to try to correct the exposure on these. Decide for yourself if you like it.

023b-1.jpg

027-1-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

i'm no pro, nor am i a regular picture poster, so please take my critiques very lightly. also, i'm just basing this critique on my own taste.
  • the only pic that really hits me is no. 1... why? because it's Landscape oriented... the other two just don't seem to fit in portrait orientation
  • also, in no. 1, the bridge acting as the horizon gives the picture a start, middle and end... (foreground, midground, background). The other two feel more of like a snapshot of your environment. by snapshot, there isn't a target one can focus on.
  • i don't know what to say about 'fixing' no. 2, maybe recomposing so the horizon doesn't sit right in the middle. Because the trees are so tall, the picture looks to have the horizon smack, dab in the middle.
  • for no. 3, perhaps recomposing to be closer to the bridge and giving the feeling that it 'leads' somewhere?
hope that helps and that i didn't come across like an ass

I just hope he didn't crop out the Swedish Bikini Team by making those shots portrait instead of landscape. ;)

With me, #3 has the most impact, even taken vertically. As is, anyway.

#2 needed less sky to keep the horizon away from the middle of the picture. This one had enough exposure where I could lighten it up while holding the sky somewhat. I did that in photoshop while lightening up a little, and it looked better IMO.:blushing:

#3 had the most potential with the glare coming from over the mountain, but was too underexposed for me to get anything worthwhile in photoshop. Actually, all three needed more exposure.

PS I would have liked to see them in color.

number 3 is really nice!! and number 1 with the light filled in is pretty cool too.

Thanks for the comments everyone! :D I'm definetly taking all the words of advice and learning.

So I'm just wondering if taking a landscape photo wrong when taken vertically??

Thanks PhotoDonkey for lightening the pics, I do like them. Just wondering if it was me you called he?? LOL, 'cause I'm a she:D.

Just one more question, should I be posting my pics in the general gallery from now on for critiques??

Most reactions

New Topics

Back