K200D vs. XTi

Dropsonde

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I want to get a camera and start photography as a hobby. Are there any obvious things I should know about any of these cameras that may swing the decision? In the end it will come down to which one I like best but i'm trying to keep it under $700. If anyone has any other suggestions in that range for body + lens (im probably getting the kit lens). oh and what are the lens limitations like on the pentax? or maybe advice on buying just the body and a non-kit lens

Last edited:
If you are planning to go pentax, try the k10d, it's a much better camera than the k200d and it costs about the same now that the k20 has come out, btw don't be afraid to get the pentax kit lens, it's one of the best around and there is nothing that can match it at that price.

Peter

not sure why, but I can't find the K10d listed on any of the local stores websites. they have the k20 but not the k10. It does look like it goes over the 700 a bit though

The K10 has been discontinued so you won't find it new anywhere most likely. You will have to find it used, but it is a great camera, my sister had one for awhile.

I found a new k10d the other day at ritz camera, so you may find some last sample lying oround in camera stores

but if I am unable to find one (I can't even find a used one locally). would the xti be a choice over the k200d based on features?

It really all depends on what you want, they are both great cameras, you gotta try them out first and see wich ever fits you, what you feel in your hands best is your camera.

Don't base your choices on specs (and i don't know how much better the xti is with features anyway), because most of the time it is not what really matters.

P.s Go with pentax!! :)lmao:) helps keeping the competition alive and it is a great camera. That said it is your camera not mine that we are buying here so just go and try something out, hell, you might find that neither fits you and you'll end up buying a completley different thing!

You really need to give us more detail on what you shoot for anyone to give specific, informed advice.

Sports?
Landscape?
Portraits?

What will you be using more?
Auto focus?
Manual focus?

Are you opposed to using old film camera lenses?
Do you plan to take a lot of handheld pictures in the dark?
etc.

The K200D is basically the K10D in a smaller body. It also uses AA batteries ( some love that, some don't ) It is a weather sealed camera which the Rebel is NOT. It has built in shake reduction, so ANY lens you mount on it will be image stabilized. It doesn't have some of the features of the K10D, The K10 has two wheels, where the K200 has just one. It is backwards compatible with any K mount lens. If i were you, I would check them both out, and see which one "feels" better to you.

The K200's sealed? I thought the 20D and 10D were the only sealed ones..

Most reactions

Back