Karst landscapes on the Li River in Guanxi, China

ChrisOquist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.aperculture.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just a few captures from a cruise down the Li River during my trip to China in August. The scenery was completely stunning and otherworldly - you really get a sense of where the inspiration for a lot of traditional Chinese and Japanese landscape paintings when you're face to face with the truly surreal karst peaks here. Enjoy!

li3%20APER.jpg

Li%20River%20at%2010mm%20APER.jpg

li2%20APER.jpg

Cool...do you have more photos to show? How large was the cruise boat? I've seen pictures of fisherman's sailing along the Li river - fascinating lifestyle.

There are so many places in China I haven't visited myself. Thanks for sharing.

the white balance seems off. Shooting towards the sun, especially with the sun in frame can be tricky. I think those two things really hurt the otherwise strong compositions of 1 and 2. 3 is a little better, but still, the flag and sky are too bright for the mountains. I dont know how much control you had over your location, so maybe this was the best that you could do.

that place is freaking amazing..

I just realized I posted some really small images - I'll put up larger files next time..

Cool...do you have more photos to show? How large was the cruise boat?

I do - check out my blog (www.aperculture.com) there are a bunch of photographs there from Fenghuang (plus a bunch of situational portraits from Fenghuang), Zhangjiajie and Wulingyuan, and Shanghai/Hangzhou.

I'll put a few more up here in the forums when I get to editing some of the rest of our stops on the trip!

The boat, by the way, was fairly big but not massive. It was definetely bigger than a raft! Two stories, plus a deck on top, with a kitchen, tables for people to have lunch. I would call it a mid-sized ferry. Probably 50 or 60 people on board.

the white balance seems off. Shooting towards the sun, especially with the sun in frame can be tricky. I think those two things really hurt the otherwise strong compositions of 1 and 2. 3 is a little better, but still, the flag and sky are too bright for the mountains. I dont know how much control you had over your location, so maybe this was the best that you could do.

I agree about the white balance. Color temperature and white balance are definetely something I need to work on as a photographer - they're a weak point. I did increase the saturation of the flag and burn the mountains a bit as they were hazy - maybe I contributed to the problem instead of fixing anything..

Most reactions

Back