Karting DOF

Goldeeno

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
goldeeno.zoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Basic DOF question i think. Just wondered how to get all the kart in focus, got a few of these shots. I was messing around all day with different settings, im sure this was about f8, 1:125... not posative, is it a case of just increasing the Aperture? (Canon 350d, 55-200mm)

IMG_0955e.jpg

hmm, I would try to increase the aperture a bit so you could then also increase the shutter speed to freeze the kart a bit more so it won't be as blurry. but don't raise the shutter speed too much or you won't get as good of a background blur. that's what I think.

Like i say i was trying all sorts of settings, some worked well, but as a majority i found i was catching the helmet in focus and blurred the kart front or the other way round. The clouds were really patchy so light was never the same for more than 5 mins, i think ive worn the roller on the camera out changing settings :D.

First, you should be able to get the EXIF data from the photo. it helps to post that information when asking a question.

My suggestions:
Set the camera ISO to 400.
Set the camera to AI Servo focus mode which is better suited for tracking moving objects.
Set the camera to continuous mode.
Set the camera to TV and set to 1/250 (at least).

At that shutter you shouldn't see handshake blurr (monopod helps). If the subject is still blurry due to motion, try a faster shutter setting. Also take note how subjects moving from a distance away require a minimum shutter speed from subjects that are close to you.

Practice... and let us know how it works out. There are numerous ways to take photos of these karts but this is just one suggestion to get you started.

Just a comment...Despite the kart being blurry, you've got some blown out highlights. I think you may want to consider some exposure values as well. Or, perhaps this may be corrected w/the increased shutter speeds?

have a good one
3Eo

Here is your EXIF data on that picture.

1/80s f/10.0 ISO100 200mm (35mm eq:320mm)

1/80th of a second is far, far too slow to get crisp pictures across the frame on something moving fast like a cart. As an example, I shoot bicycle races at 1/800th of a second or faster...

Worry less about the aperture concentrate on the shutter speed... at the range you took the picture, the cart would have all been in focus if you had stopped the action.

Having said that, I personally like the shot and the feeling of motion.

I like the composition as well...

Actually... I think the photo is pretty darn sharp considering that he shot it at 1/80s @ 200mm focal length.

Most reactions

Back