Katelin

Reverend

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.alsphoto.com
This was a candid shot. Well, at her age they're all candid....

I guess I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do in the processing phase that could help make the image really "pop."

Katelin.jpg

What a sweet portrait, especially seeing as she is just at that age where it is practically impossible to even keep track of her at all times!

My only suggestion would be to lighten it up a tad to make the skin tones warmer and perhaps help to decrease the shadow on the right side of her face. Most of this could probably be accomplished just by playing around in curves. Do you mind if I post a 5 min. edit?

Agree with brittany - i think the curves adjustment will help make her eyes 'pop' too, they look pretty dark here at the moment - probably not half as gorgeous as in real life??!!.... if its okay, i would love to post an edit too??? are your pictures ok to edit???? xx

oh yea, feel free to edit.. Just make sure you tell/show us what you did, specifically, so that we can all learn from your techniques.

Darken the fabric to the upper right of the head. It's a distraction. The head will then 'pop out' from the background.

There we go, that looks a whole lot better.

Here is my few minute version in photoshop, in which I played around with curves a bit to obtain a similar result as yourself. The only downside is, I continued to clip the right side of her face even more, so I quickly brought some of the detail from her left check over to the right side of her face and blurred it. It looks quite unnatural at this time but with some more time in photoshop it just might work. I also did about a 10% dodge around her pupils to help bring out her beautiful blue eyes. (As well as clone in the upper left corner) When I was working on it, there might have been a tad bit more contrast/saturation in the photoshop program that doesn't appear to be on this version.
Katelin.jpg

Hi "Reverend' Trust you didn't mind me having a play with your image. Most of the things I did are obvious, but the main changes to give it some "sparkle" were [1] lightened the eyes and added a bit of blue and cyan.
[2] Put a light reflection in the eyes, very important. If the eyes are dead, the image looks dull. Philip.
www.philipweirphotography.com

Katelin_v2.jpg

Philip did you ever own a glamour shots studio

Thought I should at least put in an appearance for just doing it like one would in a real darkroom just light darken and recrop it. Also this again reminds me of the scene from from a movie so don't panic..

Katelin_v3.jpg

Here's my go at editing this adorable photo! Hope you like it! What a precious child!

-Crystal

Katelin.jpg

It is a sweet shot. When you have a stong light/dark element like this, a white reflector bouncing light back on to the shadowed side of the face can help a lot.

I figured I'd join the crowd too. Trying to even up the dark/light kills the contrast, but that's a sacrifice you sometimes have to choose.

Katelin-mod.jpg

Katelin-modbw.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back