Katherine's Bridals - Utah State Capitol Building

I also love 7 the best! Neat leading lines!

In a couple of them her face just seems a little dark to me (although I'm at work and it could be my crappy monitor) especially in three and four.

But I love the set! Gorgeous setting with a gorgeous bride! Can't go wrong! :D

I'm not really into these. 2, 8 and 9 look soft while most of the others have an unbalanced feel and dark shadows on what should be focal points. At least you don't have giant logos plastered all over them though. You might want to study fill flash techniques which will help you balance your photos and give you better prints with less retouching.

I'm not really into these. 2, 8 and 9 look soft while most of the others have an unbalanced feel and dark shadows on what should be focal points. At least you don't have giant logos plastered all over them though. You might want to study fill flash techniques which will help you balance your photos and give you better prints with less retouching.

I'm sorry, but as I go back and study these, I really don't see any dark shadows. The ones that you say are soft, have had some skin softening technics done on them to remove skin blemishes and make the bride have that porcelin skin that every woman wants to have. If you take a look at her eyes (the most important part of any photo) you'll see that they are crisp and in focus. The others were taken from far enough away, #7 was taken with a telephoto lens from the third floor balcony, that a fill flash wouldn't have done anything at all. And, I'm not sure that they need them. I'm honestly surprised by your critique. Usually I agree to some extent with the critique I get, and I try to use the critique on my next shoot, but I just don't see any "dark shadows"

I'm sorry, but as I go back and study these, I really don't see any dark shadows. The ones that you say are soft, have had some skin softening technics done on them to remove skin blemishes and make the bride have that porcelin skin that every woman wants to have. If you take a look at her eyes (the most important part of any photo) you'll see that they are crisp and in focus. The others were taken from far enough away, #7 was taken with a telephoto lens from the third floor balcony, that a fill flash wouldn't have done anything at all. And, I'm not sure that they need them. I'm honestly surprised by your critique. Usually I agree to some extent with the critique I get, and I try to use the critique on my next shoot, but I just don't see any "dark shadows"

Your flash doesn't have to be attached to your camera to be used. And especially with a white dress (very distracting), lighting should be used to bring attention to the face. And you can't tell me that you've never heard of balancing flash with ambient light. I'm sorry if I've surprised you with some critical comments, but all this "great job!" stuff is not helping you.

Here is a sample of what I think is balanced lighting. http://www.flickr.com/photos/22790325@N04/2575910918/sizes/m/

Most reactions

Back