Katie's Cars and Coffee

JoeW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There is a weekly event that happens in Northern Virginia near Great Falls. A bunch (as many as a couple of hundred, in some cases maybe only 80-120) antique, classic and expensive cars congregate, park and people can walk around and check them out. I was there this past Saturday. Just amazing stuff. I stopped counting when I saw my 4th red Ferrari. Lamboughinis, Maseratis, at least 40 different Porsches of various makes, a restored right-hand drive Land Rover, a Hummer restored to military spec....this gathering has a mixture of stuff. It's not completely ideal for photography because (a) it's a bunch of cars parked next to each other in parking lots and (b) they're surrounded by a bunch of people. But here's a sample of some of what I shot.

KCC-6.jpg

KCC-12.jpg
KCC-3.jpg
KCC-4.jpg
KCC-5.jpg

Oh, and the last picture of the pink fuzzy dice...that isn't some funky, poor-taste photoshop effort by me. That's mist/frost on the passenger-side window. Cars start showing up at 6am, the event shuts down around 9:30am, the sun doesn't get over the trees to hit the cars until about 8:30am (even then, it depends on where the car is parked).

You did alright!!! Love the autumn tree, and the Jag ornament. When it's crowded,crowded, crowded, you went in close and made lemonaide!

Oh, and the last picture of the pink fuzzy dice...that isn't some funky, poor-taste photoshop effort by me.
even if it was, I would still like it ;)
nice pict

I'm not much of a fan of car images, so I almost didn't open this (but it said "coffee"). I love that first one especially. Nature shots with only a leaf edge or stem in focus are fun too.

It might be worth experimenting with B&W for the first one. You could darken the green in conversion - just a thought.

Great work on these. If I might ask, what lens were you using here?....

Thank you. I was using a Nikon 50mm f1.4 prime. I had brought a couple of lens but as Derrel pointed out without even having to be there, I concluded my best option was to get close and play with aperture. So without consulting the exif data, I think that the 1st, 3rd and 4th photos were all shot with something like f1.6-f2.0. I had a couple of other lens in my bag but that the nifty-fifty was the best for what I ended up trying to shoot.

Great work on these. If I might ask, what lens were you using here?....

Thank you. I was using a Nikon 50mm f1.4 prime. I had brought a couple of lens but as Derrel pointed out without even having to be there, I concluded my best option was to get close and play with aperture. So without consulting the exif data, I think that the 1st, 3rd and 4th photos were all shot with something like f1.6-f2.0. I had a couple of other lens in my bag but that the nifty-fifty was the best for what I ended up trying to shoot.

Thanks for the info! I think you did a great job capturing the event.

3 & 5
yeah ,car shows are tough. You either wait for some magical time when people won't be around a particular car, or go in tight.
Great set.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back