Katrina (First with AB1600)

sfr002

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Picture of the g/f trying out the new AB1600, haven't had much time due to work.

C/C Please

Click for flickr and strobist.

Nice pic eyes look great... i think the DOF is alittle tight though since her face is sharp and her shoulders are out of focus

I'm liking it. I like the shallow DOF. The only thing I would think about is softening her skin a little. it would be a little more flattering, especially on the highlights on her forehead and cheeks.

The only thing I would think about is softening her skin a little. it would be a little more flattering, especially on the highlights on her forehead and cheeks.

That would probally clear up the oddness im seeing with her skin being soo SHARP... then the DOF probally would look better....good tip for me to remember.

I like most things about the photo, except her hair is completely blocked up. Using the Shadow/Highlight feature in Photoshop it would be easy to bring out some more detail in her hair, but overall, the hair is simply way too dark, given the lighting that's on her face. It seems to me that the original processing or the in-camera settings are a bit too high in contrast,and the saturation level in the hair is a bit too high,causing the blocked values in the lower tones.

Overall though, a nice friendly-looking,pleasant shot of her. Her eyes might be framed a bit low in the composition though. The soft,gentle highlights on her forehead and cheeks are not caused by excessive skin oil, but by the light source being large,and close to her, and by the nature of the light source, which is giving just a hint of specularity...which gives shape and dimensional and depth clues to our eyes. I don't think it's necessary to smooth the skin out, but then again, I prefer "real-looking" portraiture, while many people raised on Photoshop prefer a much more plastic-like skin rendition where people have no pores, no winkles, and look like mannequins. The highlights and her actual skin look "real", but a lot of people want to see women rendered with heavily-retouched,smoothed out skin, a la beauty and cosmetic product ads.

Last edited:
her eyes are most catchy....i am seeing oil or makeup glow on her skin.....she cud use a bit of powder before shoot.

Thank you all. This was taken after a 10hr work day so her make-up wasn't fresh. The make up was done in PP I tried to keep her as natural but still real not plastic. I agree with the hair another light may help or just fix it in post.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back