Katrina--(from MD-->)PLEASE DONATE

in DC, the red-cross is holding crash courses for those interested in helping out. i believe it's a day long class, then you're on your way.

I think I have missed something but why are people donating? Where is the money actually going?

Edit>> Oh and there is alot of coverage in Britain. Its on CNN Europe pretty much always (was in France for the passed week) It's on constantly on the 24 hour news channels and extra news reports are happening.

Daniel said:
I think I have missed something but why are people donating? Where is the money actually going?

Mostly to the Red Cross. google them for more specific info. Hopefully for supplies to help with immediate rescue and recovery. For gasoline to help move folks out of the area. Water and food, medical supplies, and the vehicles to move all of it around along with the rations to keep their workers running too. Funds for these things have to come from someplace and the US govermant just added $14billion to the relief pot. Walmart donated $17 million yesterday and the CEO said he will not have to challenge other top CEO to follow his footsteps they were all taking similar action. Atleast the wheels are finally starting to roll.

So what is the general concensus on donating a few prints as lumi said earlier in this thread and auctioning them off to donate the proceeds to charity? Is this anything anyone would be interested in?

I havent' read any of the posts in this thread really, but I just wanted to say that yes it is all over the australian news and radio. It's really awful. They keep playing audio clips of people who are struggling to find food and shelter, and of criminals stealing stuff and rapings going on. It's awful.

I think the Aussie government is waiting to hear back from Bush if he wants us to send over a bunch of army guys to help out. We're also organising a bunch of flood and disaster experts to go over I heard this morning.

Aparently it could take 3 months for all the water to go down, coz of the wall thingy's that are supposed to stop the water going in, have kept it in now. Sounds like this issue is going to be going on for a while.

Aleast help is finally being poured into the areas. Keep us in your thoughts. Our town is filling to the brim with evacuees and all of our own resources are being tapped pretty heavily. What a wave of utter chaos. Our schools have alreadya cepted manymany new students from the areas. We have gotten several local reports of people steaing gasoline from other peoples autos in the Walmart parling lot. What sucks is our town was already packed with this years Ole Miss students. we live in pretty small town that normally holds about 20000...with students it's about 45000 and busting at the seams. With all of these new folks coming it's crazy but we are welcoming them with open arms...we in Oxford got real lucky!

Katrina is getting a reasonable amount of coverage here...

But not heaps...

I was saying to my mum this morning, it's amazing that huge appeals havent been set up yet. When the tsunami hit bali, there were huge appeals within a day.

BTW - I'm in Australia. So Bali is close to us... Maybe thats why we heard more about it than New Orleans?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back