TiCoyote

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
4752998556_30f810878f_b.jpg

moz-screenshot-2.png
4752998618_0a41645fbb_b.jpg

I'm trying to teach myself some photo editing. I'm just starting to play around with levels and layers. I used sequentially larger inverse selections with gaussian blur in concentric ovals in #1. In #2 I did the same, but in rectangular bands, and then also reduced contrast. I thought it would give a the impression of a tilt-shift lens.

I usually edit in Lightroom, but I like how GIMP allows me to use to use the layers. I'd appreciate C&C on the images, and also some GIMP vs. Elements thoughts. I searched the threads, but didn't find much.

You were very light handed with the blur in the first one, the second one not so much.

The first one really bothers my eyes quite a bit, the second one is a little more forgiving because you give us more of an area to rest the eye.

This is something important that a lot of people forget, you really have to give something that the viewer can rest on, something that is not busy, blury, or overpowering the main subject (otherwise their eye will always be "resting" and not absorbing the main subject)

I get these are just a test of image processing and manipulation skills but you still have to keep this in mind.

Either case I don't see a need for the blur, the rest of the editing is minimalist enough to just enhance it. Blur isn't one of those tools I'd say go ahead and use unless you have a strong background with image manipulation. Oddly enough it is probably one of the toughest tools to use, yet so many people assume they can mimic a lens or naturally caused blur with it (not calling you out btw, just saying it is a common misconception)

As far as Gimp Vs. Elements I can't say as I own photoshop :( Personally I'd say elements if you can't afford photoshop or find a student version somehow. Only because I know how good Adobe's customer service is first hand.

GIMP is an awesome free editor. Having said that, you can have my Adobe PS when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

I prefer the 2nd image as well, but the dead center composition really doesn't do it for me. Good job on the editing!

GIMP is an awesome free editor. Having said that, you can have my Adobe PS when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

I prefer the 2nd image as well, but the dead center composition really doesn't do it for me. Good job on the editing!

ya some photos benefit from being in the center, not this one.

LOVE that crop. ^^

Thanks for the feedback. I downloaded the trial of Elements. I like the interface a lot better than GIMP. It's also way quicker. I'll probably buy it, or version 7, when the trial runs out.

Most reactions

Back