Kayaking along Toronto's Waterfront

Antarctican

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sunday was a lazy, hazy (and I do mean hazy, as you'll see) day in Toronto so I decided to rent a kayak and paddle around the harbour before heading over to the Toronto Islands. I took my point and shoot with me, and these are some of the snapshots I took through the day:

1. "Might is right"…kayakers have to give the right of way to the ferries heading over to the island.
kayakdscn0820psmedium9rw.jpg

2. Once over at the island, the canals are very peaceful.
kayakdscn0823psmedium4gb.jpg

3. Skyline view from one of the canals.
kayakdscn0829psmedium7bo.jpg

4. LOTS of people were fishing, but not too many were catching anything worth keeping
kayakdscn0852ps1medium6za.jpg

5. I always like the look of waterlilies, so when I saw one near some bullrushes I paddled over
kayakdscn0885ps4km.jpg

6. Right behind the bullrushes I saw an entrance into a pond that was filled with waterlilies. There were some swans and herons there, but the heron was very skittish so I only got a pic of the swan
kayakdscn0907ps6kr.jpg

7. The yellow water lilies never seem to open fully.
waterlilydscn0889ps3lj.jpg

8. Sunset view of the skyline from the Toronto Islands.
dsc06403medium4ho.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Seems you had a great time, and you tell the story well through you photos. Though, it's a bit pity IMO that you didn't bring your _real_ camera out there. #5 has quite much detail, the camera concidered.

great shots anty..... looks so chilled out over there..... the low perspective of the kayak shots really add a nice pov like in 3..... and the last shot is well exposed, especially for a point and shoot camera...... good stuff :thumbup:

#6 is my favourite from the lot, closely followed by the second one.
Don't usually get to see your work. Make this a habit! ;)

I'VE SEEN SOME OF ANTYS' PHOTOS
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:wav: :wav:

I like them all but number 8 is just perfect, what a skyline and what great colours in the sky, I can just imagine if that shot was taken where I live.... burnt out cars, piles of rubbish and by the time you'd have framed the shot your kayak would of been nicked !

Love the swan shot ( how can you not love a swan shot? )

It's hard to belive that the 2nd shot was taken so close to a major city

Why thanks sooo much to all of you for your kind comments! :blushing:

Foffen - it was my first time out this season, the water on the harbour was a bit rough, and the kayak 'skirts' at the rental place don't do a very good job at keeping water out of the body of the kayak, so I was nervous about taking the dSLR. I sure wished I'd had it, though, when that heron was around! All the shots I got of it were fuzzy. Next time I may well take the 'big cam' out with me.

Arch - thanks for your comments. They're always greatly appreciated.

Danalec, LP and Hoppy - Uhh, yeah, I guess I don't post very often, do I? It's because my pics are so 'snapshot-y" compared to the stuff you all post. But I'm trying to get over that, and will try to post a little more often. Thanks soooo much for the encouragement...it helps a lot. Really.

Funkyflame - thanks for commenting!

:hugs: Hugs to all of you.

There's nothing wrong with snapshot-y pictures, just look at the stuff I post on here, there ain't many people on here who like it but I still keep posting anyway. There is a story behind every shot.
There is far too much importance placed on 'the perfect' composition/image it seems, and people tend to lose sight of the love of just taking a picture.
Ian

Thanks KenCo! I really like Toronto's skyline, so that's one of my fave shots of it (I have many).

lostprophet said:
I can just imagine if that shot was taken where I live.... burnt out cars, piles of rubbish and by the time you'd have framed the shot your kayak would of been nicked !
LP, as I was sitting in the kayak for all those shots, it woulda been pretty tough for anyone to nick it out from under me!

what a fun series anty, some nice shots in there... i have only been kayaking once (in Kauai) and i will never forget it, it was so much fun... these photos really take me back...

It looks so much nicer than our 115F weather... our low is going to be in the mid 90s tonight... i'd love to be out on a kayak in those canals right about now...

all excellent photos..i like the fishermen the best
:)

Most reactions

Back