Keep or sell the 70-300 F/4-5.6 ?

hippychickkelly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
its a kit lens , I do have a monster lens of 70-200 f/2.8 I use this one more than the 70-300
since I shoot mostly my kids at gymnastics meets with it. I do play with the 70-300 and my Oldest dd is taking a photo class in High school next tri (excited mother :)
I can get 150$ for the lens right now and can probably put it to other lenses that I really want but ?????

opinions Wanted :)

Which 70-300 are you thinking of selling?
The VRii version
or, by the price, I assume the older non-VR 70-300 ?

And what other lenses do you really want ?

i just bought a used 17-50 2.8 lens , the 70-300 is literally a very basics lens.
Does not IS

Oops .. I just noticed this is Canon. VR (nikon) = IS ( Canon)
I've never used the Canon 70-300 either version(s) .. so hopefully someone else will wander in here.

But if you don't think you or your oldest is going to use the lens, then there would be no reason to keep it.

Oops .. I just noticed this is Canon. VR (nikon) = IS ( Canon)
I've never used the Canon 70-300 either version(s) .. so hopefully someone else will wander in here.

But if you don't think you or your oldest is going to use the lens, then there would be no reason to keep it.

I missed the Canon part too, Astro. I was trying to figure out why on earth she'd sell the Nikon version of that lens for $150, unless it was the older non-VR model.

sorry, I didn't think about verifying that it was a Canon , I multi task too much (I have 4 kids and 2 of them are 6 and 2. plus this is the Canon lenses section.

sorry, I didn't think about verifying that it was a Canon , I multi task too much (I have 4 kids and 2 of them are 6 and 2. plus this is the Canon lenses section.

Not a problem!
I rarely, if ever, notice the section--I generally use the Active Topics section and just click on whatever title grabs my interest! Not the first time it's caused me to be left a bit clueless!

I am just really evaluting lenses wanting better ones and such and notice I hate shooting at hight Fstops and prefer the lower ones.

I am just really evaluting lenses wanting better ones and such and notice I hate shooting at hight Fstops and prefer the lower ones.
Using a wider aperture is not always going to give you the results you anticipate. The depth of field is affected greatly by the aperture setting, (as well as the focal length, distance, and sensor).

most of the photos I take I prefer more Focus on the subject plus most of my photo taking is lower light levels and I am not a flash person

Since you have the 70-200 2.8 lens, I would get rid of that 75-300 lens.
That being said, if your high schooler is going to be taking up photography, it may be worth keeping. If they really get into it, they will want something different/better eventually.

I think ill hold onto it for a little , She starts the class next month so Ill see

Most reactions

New Topics

Back