Keeping camera and film cool in car

EricO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Lately I've been using a six pack cooler to keep my camera and film cool in the car. The camera is Minolta Maxxum 5 with a 50mm lens on it. I store it in the six pack cooler with a frozen 32oz Gatorade bottle.

You will need to be careful about condensation. Remember that lens fogging up when you take it out of the cooler and into the heat is not good. Read the camera/lens manuals for the temperature range and then try to maintain those.
I never, never leave my camera in the car on hot or cold days!!! There are plenty of articles about this kind of care on the web.

One book I have recommends keeping your camera stored in a disposable styrofoam cooler in your trunk if you have to keep it in your car.

During the heat of the summer or the cold of winter is not a good time to store your camera in the car.
Why one wants to leave their camera in the car during the extreme conditions always befuddles me.
I will say that I practice what I preach. If I am going out, and decide to take my camera, I do not leave it in the car. I take it in restuarants, libraries, stores, mall, bookstores, etc...

Coleman cooler for me. It's also a good theft discouragement system.

I would never leave my pro cameras in the car in extreme temps but I do like to have a camera with me at all times. I may consider taking my "beat around" inside whenever I get a chance or forego having a camera with me at all times, on extreme temp days.

I may try keeping the camera in a zip lock bag to prevent fogging.

I keep it in my pelican. Just open the beak and toss it in. :er:

the pelican cases keep it cool and dry... If you dont mind the bright yellow case.

I may try keeping the camera in a zip lock bag to prevent fogging.
Unfortunately, a plastic bag won't help. The problem is that, when you remove the camera from the ziplock bag, a cool object (the camera lens, film, etc) will be coming into contact with warm moist air (the air outside the cooler). You *might* be able to get around this problem if you let the sealed ziplock and camera come up to temp for about 30 min before removing the camera from the ziplock, but this sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Success will probably depend upon how humid the air inside the bag is, and how great the temp difference is.

PS: This looks suspiciously similar to a post I saw over at APUG ;)

Last edited:
I gotta say that I don't leave my stuff in the car. It's summer here in Southern California. You better believe it'll get hot. If a camera leaves the house with me, it stays with me. If I'm not in the car, the camera isn't either.

Most reactions

Back