Keeping equipment safe on a photoshoot?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by BuZzZeRkEr, Mar 26, 2008.

1. BuZzZeRkEr

BuZzZeRkEr TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    What are some of the precautions you take to ensure the safety of your equipment while on a shoot? I know I'm going to be carrying very expensive equipment with me on a wedding shoot (lenses and extra bodies etc.) that total into the thousands. During a shoot I know you can't watch all of your equipment all of the time. Any horror stories? Thanks for your time.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ideally, an assistant would be perfect. Not only can they help you out but they can watch the gear etc.

What I have done, is to ask the B&G to appoint someone to help me out. Ideally it's someone who doesn't have to be in many photos but will be around anyway...maybe a boyfriend/spouse of a bride's maid etc. This person can help you carry gear and keep an eye on your stuff.

Another option is to always have your gear on your person. Use a backpack or sling style bag or even a belt system.

Of course, it's a good idea to have insurance for your gear, so that if it is stolen, it's not the end of the world. I always keep the memory cards on me, so in case my bag is stolen, I still have the client's photos safe.

3. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I have done many wedings in what would be considered the "worst" neighborhoods here in Pittsburgh and I have NEVER had a problem. I think this is something that you may worry a little too much about. I guess mabye I have been a little lucky but i also think that most of the guests at a wedding wil have alot of respect for the gear of the photographer since I imagine if it is stolen the pictures of the people they came to see (friends, family??) will be no more.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree...theft is probably rare...but it's not unheard of. I've heard a few bad stories about such things happening at one of my cities busiest photo locations...and it's not really a bad area.

The worst one was that someone followed a photographer home and robbed her in her own driveway.

I've even seen video of thieves who target photographers at large hotels....where you would think that crime wouldn't be a problem. Amazing what you can get away with just by wearing a suit.

Again, these things are most likely quite rare...and you shouldn't let fear rule your actions.

5. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I put some of my gear on a "scheduled coverage" rider on my homeowner's insurance policy. $2500 worth of equipment covered for all risk, including me dropping something and the infamous "mysterious disappearance" (I don't know what happened - it was there a minute ago). Coverage is for replacement cost with zero deductible. Cost to me is $40/year.

I've never had anything stolen or lost but I'm paying for peace of mind.

6. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

This is all well and good if you use your gear for personal use but I was told by my insurance company that if I was using my gear for profit it would have to be a special policy