Kelsey S. (Pic Heavy)

I don't mind if there are strong highlights in the hair, coming from behind like that, but that's a stylistic choice. Some people will yell at me and tell me it's wrong, and others will like it. :lol:

The sky looks well outside of the -/+ 2EV give on your sensor. You should have HDR'd it.

I don't mind if there are strong highlights in the hair, coming from behind like that, but that's a stylistic choice. Some people will yell at me and tell me it's wrong, and others will like it. :lol:

The sky looks well outside of the -/+ 2EV give on your sensor. You should have HDR'd it.

Wasn't what I was going for.

I could have kept sky detail, and tried in some of them, but I just didn't like the way it looked.

Some people are vehemently against detail-less skies. I'm not. :lol:

Sometimes I will keep it. Sometimes I will blow it away. It's the "natural light" vs. "flash photographer" fighting within me on every session. Or. You know. Just the photographer, in general. Because I don't identify with JUST "natural light" or JUST "flash" photography. It's just me. Making stylistic choices. :lol:

I knew before I even posted these that some people would take issue with it. It's okay if you're not into it.

Gotta agree on #9 being just as cute as it can be!

Thank you! :sillysmi:

In #9 on the swingset, her face is out of focus, but the back of her hair is in focus, but it doesn't show that badly at web size. I like the look (light/bright/airy/fun) of the swingset shots, with the nice, light background, but I wish the swing chains and her, herself, were more sharply separated from the background. I get the desire to have a fully ROUND bokeh-ball type background, but I think this would look cooler shot with a longer lens that would have much bigger OOF circles, rather than being so close and using a shorter lens and having depth of field be so thin. I guess what I'd love to see is a longer lens, a fast one, shot wide open, to make the bokeh more "big and bold", and have her be really sharply focused and the backdrop more "out".

The "dead eye" with the big, black, featureless eye so close to the hand with the large ring drawn up to her face makes #7 a B-list shot...the eye desperately needs at least a little bit of a visible pupil, but has no color at all. The wall-mounted lamp behind her is also distracting.

The ones of her in the white jacket agaisnt the wall, near the end...those seem very contrasty to me. Just a little bit less bite might look good on those.

On the idea of "blown out" backgrounds...I think they all look perfectly fine...they convey that light, airy feeling of summertime, and "fun"...lightness. It's a creative decision to go "airy". I think it looks good with redheads and blondes, especially, and she had the right wardrobe for it. Like on the gate with pool behind...I don't wanna see a bunch of lounge chairs...blowing that out is totally the right decision. Overall though, I'm sure she'll be happy with her pcitures. She comes off looking attractive, tall, elegant, yet not stuffy, and all around like she's happy.

I don't mind the bright/blown skies. As long as the subject is expose well, it still works IMO.

One thing that stands out for C&C, is that several of them have an excess of space above her head. In a couple of them, that looks to be a choice made to include something, like the arch above the gate, but it still tends to come off as a less-that-ideal composition. Different angles and perspectives could help here, while allowing the subject to take up more of the frame.

Of course...that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Wasn't what I was going for.

I could have kept sky detail, and tried in some of them, but I just didn't like the way it looked.

Some people are vehemently against detail-less skies. I'm not. :lol:

Sometimes I will keep it. Sometimes I will blow it away. It's the "natural light" vs. "flash photographer" fighting within me on every session. Or. You know. Just the photographer, in general. Because I don't identify with JUST "natural light" or JUST "flash" photography. It's just me. Making stylistic choices. :lol:

I knew before I even posted these that some people would take issue with it. It's okay if you're not into it.

you missed the joke...

:er:

In #9...SNIP... ...like she's happy.

Thanks for the feedback.

The ones of her in the white jacket agaisnt the wall, near the end...those seem very contrasty to me.

They are. It was a stylistic choice to pair with the on-axis lighting.

If anything, I'm looking at the JPEG exports and wishing I had hit it a little harder still, with the contrast. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

I don't mind the bright/blown skies. As long as the subject is expose well, it still works IMO. One thing that stands out for C&C, is that several of them have an excess of space above her head. In a couple of them, that looks to be a choice made to include something, like the arch above the gate, but it still tends to come off as a less-that-ideal composition. Different angles and perspectives could help here, while allowing the subject to take up more of the frame. Of course...that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Thanks for the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

4 & 5 are my favorites. All the ones in front of this brick are perfect as far as skin tones go. I feel like the ones on the swings she looks pretty green. Maybe burn the b/g a little? I also love 11 & 17. Great set!

4 & 5 are my favorites. All the ones in front of this brick are perfect as far as skin tones go. I feel like the ones on the swings she looks pretty green. Maybe burn the b/g a little? I also love 11 & 17. Great set!

Thanks for your feedback. :)

Just curious... were you on a calibrated monitor when you looked at these before?

I couldn't figure out who it was she looked like to me. I knew it was "someone". Just came to me............ Liz Claman on Fox Business Network!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back