Ken Rockwell was right: your camera *doesn't* matter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything, hell I learn more everyday. But how on earth can you say the camera makes the Image not to photographer with the masters we've seen in the past?

I may have missed where he said that...but in any event, this is kind of shadow-boxing on all sides, and I think we long ago lost the point.

To create an image, you obviously need both. Ansel Adams by himself could not take a great photograph. If you had Ansel Adams in your hand, and pushed the button, nothing would happen. (Well, he might slug you...but no image would result.)

Similarly, a camera on its own is nothing -- and a camera in the hands of a monkey will result in nothing but shots of bananas and a gnawed-up Nikon.

Which is more important? Depends. (On the conditions, the application, the skill of the photographer, the quality of the equipment, etc.) For person A doing one thing the camera might matter quite a lot, while for person B doing another it might be inconsequential.

To give one example, a camera with automatic mode is crucial for my elderly mother...no automatic mode, no picture. For WWII images, though, the most important factor was the bravery of the photographer. No one analyzes the white balance of the sunset in a picture of men fighting and dying.

There are other issues floating around this debate, but I don't think they matter. For example, is KR an idiot? Meh. Who cares -- the world's full of idiots, and none of us are exceptions. :lol:

Wow, big post.

Dude, take some pictures with people in it. More interesting than just landscapes.

Oh wait, it's the internet. Let me rephrase that.

Dude, take some pictures with people in it. IN MY OPINION, they'd be more interesting than just landscapes.

ah Mav... you do like to shoot yourself in the foot...

If you want to add a point to this discussion by all means do so.... but that mamoth of a rant you just indulged in, lead to you calling another member names and generally being disrespectful.... so as long as that all must have taken you to write, i can't leave that up there. :roll:

Last edited:

Last edited:
Gear what?

As for your images... yea they are ok... if they were mine i would wouldn't be too bothered with them tho, in fact id probably bin them. Why? Even at this size and resolution i can see they have masses of colour noise, something i cannot live with.
Like you said in your earlier post, this is why it is ok to have a different approach to photography, don't try and force your approach on others.

If I rephrase it slightly may I repost it?

you can try... you have to cut the whole mid section out at least, id let you keep it up if its just full of your opinions on this kind of photography and not on other people.

yeah pixel peeping as always. "color noise" Ever shoot film? I hate the clean plasticy look of digital.

To me that is not comparable. Grain doesn't take away resolution like colour noise and pixilation does.
Aside from that, grain can add atmosphere imo, colour noise just appears like a digital inablity to render properly.

Arch, you'll have a PM shortly.

Last edited:
Wow, big post.

Dude, take some pictures with people in it. More interesting than just landscapes.

Oh wait, it's the internet. Let me rephrase that.

Dude, take some pictures with people in it. IN MY OPINION, they'd be more interesting than just landscapes.

Can I assume your referring to me?
If so would you like some wedding or portrait stuff. Landscapes I do on my own time for my own pleasure.

Mav, In my opinion you didn't shoot yourself in the foot. I was disappointed to get home and not see your post. Your raised some very true points.

you can try... you have to cut the whole mid section out at least, id let you keep it up if its just full of your opinions on this kind of photography and not on other people.

After re-reading Mav's post, other than the part for Jerry (although he was dead on) I didn't see anything wrong. I say take that part out and post the rest.

:thumbup:

He had some very valid points!

drat I missed the post - now it shall ever haunt me

including the wondering of if I was in it! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back