Ken Rockwell

Possibly a KR groupie?

My favorite KR controversy so far has been Michael Reichmann's (Luminous Landscape) response to Ken's article about the gear doesn't matter. Just a tip, never tell the guy with the $50K camera that gear doesn't matter; it's his entire reason for being! ;) I'm sure you can find the numerous response articles and forum posts over in the LL archives. They are hilarious!

Funny, I clicked on the Luminous Landscape link to see what a $50k camera looks like, and I don't even like the picture of the mountains that comes up.. Does absolutely nothing for me.. I guess that's like the art gallery where millionaires pay thousands for ugly paintings. I just don't get it. Maybe it's my lack of culture.

What could justify that stupid price unless you intend to look at the photos under a microscope. Only a jackass would spend that for a camera when you can got a 5dMII.. That's serious penis envy.

Only a jackass would spend that for a camera when you can got a 5dMII.. That's serious penis envy.

Congratulations, you in running for the dumbest comment of the week award. You are fighting with other contenders such as:
"I can't see the bullet, is it supposed to be visible at the end of the barrel?"
and
"Nah bro, this hill is not too steep for a beginner snowboarder."

The winner of the contest will be announced by Ken Rockwell somewhere on his horribly designed site in 10min.

Congratulations, you in running for the dumbest comment of the week award. You are fighting with other contenders such as:
"I can't see the bullet, is it supposed to be visible at the end of the barrel?"
and

The winner of the contest will be announced by Ken Rockwell somewhere on his horribly designed site in 10min.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

and

You seriously think there's a camera worth $50k? Astounding. That would be the dumbest comment of the week.

When you can currently get a camera that captures the reality of the scene with perfect precision for $2k, that is absolutely no justification for paying more. Oh yeah, it's not reality we're looking for here, but a well photoshopped image, totally untrue to reality.. Forgot.

Here-try this.. Go here and examine both pictures and point out to to me the differences. Maybe I'm missing something. Of course I don't have a $50k monitor, which you probably need to appreciate the images from the Hasselblad..

For me, it's like anything else.. You can buy a Toyota Camry, which will go 120 mph, even though you are never allowed to, last 20 years easy with every day use and still have resale value. Or if you can afford it you can buy a Ferrari, which will go 180 mph, even though 75 is the fastest speed you're ever legally allowed to drive it, will be in the shop constantly if you try to use it as a daily driver, and will be uncomfortable, impractical and expensive to own.. It does nothing better than that Toyota, and is much more of an expensive pain in the ass to own, but hey, you can afford it, so why not have it.

Yeah, I guess it would be cool to own a $50k camera just so people could envy me. My next purchase would be a microscope so that I could put my pictures under it every now and then to remind myself why I bought it.

Last edited:
Our member here seems to be coming from Ontario, whereas Ken's site is in Maryland. I'm sure Ken could be travelling and there's not a huge distance between the two, but I remain to be convinced either way.
Betcha it is Anty. :lol::lol: Who is Ken Rockwell anyways. :er:

stsinner - your comparing webshots not actual photos. Most photos on the net are only around 1000pixels or less on the longest side - that is 1/3 the size from a 10MP digital cam and even smaller from something of the hassy type.
Once you downsize by that much good editing can get results that look very similar and if the internet is your only medium of distribution of photos then the $50K hassy is not the best choice since you are wasting so much of the quality that you gain in a larger photo size.
Where it sells its own is in printing quality - being able to print large photos with high quality results.

There is a reason and a market for the camera else it would not sell at all - pros might like flashy kit but at the end of the day the kit has to work well in oder to turn a profit to let the pro remain a pro - ergo there is a reason beyond the ego one for choosing such a camera

So if I start doing things to get on everybodys nerves and make people dislike me does that mean you guys will all start visiting my blog like crazy and I will become famous?

I hope everyone shows there true colors about him even though they know he's reading. I for one find his website helpful. Before i buy a lens his review is one of the few i read.

Gladly. Whenever I am doing research on a new piece of equipment to buy, I always google "Xxxxx review", and his site always seems to pop up. I will read his reviews, accept some of his technical data & opinions along with many others, and make my choice. As far as personalities, the guy is a pompous a$$ who believes that his is the only opinion that matters. "If I can do it this way, why should anyone want to do it any different......"

stsinner - your comparing webshots not actual photos. Most photos on the net are only around 1000pixels or less on the longest side - that is 1/3 the size from a 10MP digital cam and even smaller from something of the hassy type.
Once you downsize by that much good editing can get results that look very similar and if the internet is your only medium of distribution of photos then the $50K hassy is not the best choice since you are wasting so much of the quality that you gain in a larger photo size.
Where it sells its own is in printing quality - being able to print large photos with high quality results.

There is a reason and a market for the camera else it would not sell at all - pros might like flashy kit but at the end of the day the kit has to work well in oder to turn a profit to let the pro remain a pro - ergo there is a reason beyond the ego one for choosing such a camera

I'll concede that.. I guess it's just like Rolex.. Does it keep better time than a $5 Wal Mart quartz watch? Maybe by one or two seconds a year. Will people pay $10k for one? Yep.

So how does a camera like this compare to the new 24MP super cameras that cost a couple thousand? Are the pictures really better enough to justify the $48k difference?

You seriously think there's a camera worth $50k? Astounding. That would be the dumbest comment of the week.

When you can currently get a camera that captures the reality of the scene with perfect precision for $2k, that is absolutely no justification for paying more.

Let me guess like many here including me you are a serious amateur? Yeah in that case a $50k camera is nothing more than a penis extension. But there are entire industries which rely on being able to capture 50mpx images, and if I am selling huge wall paintings for $5000 each I doubt Joe Customer will be satisfied with looking at an lovely upsampled image. Oh sure you can try telling them otherwise. Good luck to you.

For me, it's like anything else.. You can buy a Toyota Camry, which will go 120 mph, even though you are never allowed to, last 20 years easy with every day use and still have resale value. Or if you can afford it you can buy a Ferrari, which will go 180 mph, even though 75 is the fastest speed you're ever legally allowed to drive it, will be in the shop constantly if you try to use it as a daily driver, and will be uncomfortable, impractical and expensive to own.. It does nothing better than that Toyota, and is much more of an expensive pain in the ass to own, but hey, you can afford it, so why not have it.

This just proves my point. Michael Schumacher didn't drive a Toyota Camry either, and I doubt he would have won quite as many races if he did. Oh and there's no legal limit to camera megapixles and neither is there a speed limit in most races ;)

Last edited:
If you look at the difference between prints from 35mm, 6x6cm and 5x4in neg then transfer these values to DSLR, say 12mp, 21mp then 50mp then you should understand why the higher resolution bodies are in the marketplace, its not all photoshop & genuine fractals. H

Most reactions

New Topics

Back