Ken Rockwell

Solarflare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Apparently it has almost turned into a sport to make fun of Rockwell.

But personally I dont have much to complain about him. He offered a nice intro into photography. Because of him I became interested in DSLRs, and prime lenses, and photographic technique. His site isnt so bad if you want to learn photography.

Because of him, I got a D5100, 18-55mm, 55-200mm, and 35mm. A great starter kit to try out photography - cheap, lightweight, and able to deliver good results if used properly.

The only bad advice he ever gave me was the SB400 flash. A most useless thing. Whatever you do, you really should get a flash you can rotate around and put off the camera.

I guess I just dont have an issue reading someones opinion and forming my own, instead of following any advice to the letter, like some sort of slave ?

For example I didnt buy his advice to photograph only to JPEG because I figured he was just wired to "make it right in camera" from his film days. But a camera records 14 bits of data per pixel and a JPEG only stores 8, so thats obviously a huge loss.

flat earth.

I often don't agree with his conclusions or recommendations, but I do use his 'site frequently when I want to check the specs on a lens or need other hard data.

I haven't read Rockwell in ages. I feel that he creates controversial opinions and messages on his web site not to inform and educate but rather solely to increase his hits. Much of his information was just inaccurate and wrong. When I looked at his images ... they were awfully crappy. He lacks the skill, experience and images to back his mouth. As they say in Texas, he is all hat and no cattle.

I use a simple test to vet internet photographic opinions. I look at the images of the opinion giver. If their stuff is better than mine, I give their opinions currency. If their stuff is worse than mine, I move on. (I recognize you can coach without being able to play ... but that's my methodology.)

My problem with KR isn't his opinions. I object when he prints misinformation. People who don't know any better read it and believe it. There's a difference between having and opinion and getting the facts straights. KR needs to work on the later.

Joe

KR and his 1992 notepad website is old news; it's all about Tony Northrup now.

I thought he never used Off Camera Flash? Thus his recommendation of a SB400.

Can't say as I have a lot of experience reading his stuff, but went to his page and looking through his camera recommendations ran across this:

"The best telephoto lens for general photography and portraits is your choice of the inexpensive Nikon 55-200mm VR."

This is probably not a recommendation I would make, endorse, or even be able to begin to understand. It's probably one of the worst lenses you can get for a Nikon.

Some of what he says makes a certain amount of sense, but stuff like the above really makes me question his overall level of knowledge.

As for picking on him being a "sport", I would point out he does appear to make his living putting himself forward as an expert on photography. Since he is putting himself out there in such a fashion then it's only natural he should expect people to critique his opinions and knowledge.

KR = Just one more person with an opinion.

No more, no less.

KR and his 1992 notepad website is old news; it's all about Tony Northrup now.

Thing is Ken tends to be pretty decent with the facts; its mostly opinions and interpretation of the facts he uses at the extreme and conflicting end; Tony on the other hand just flat out lies and messes with people using maths and gets it wrong.

Most reactions

Back