Ken Rockwell's Free Nikon SLR User's Guides

RushNP774

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dotnetplace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently found a D90 user's guide written by Ken Rockwell that is awesome! He goes into detail on every function, feature, and menu item, and explains what it does, and what he changes. It was VERY helpful when I was learning my D90. He has manuals for most Nikon SLRs (but no Canon guides for some reason) from the D40 up to the D3. I'm sure many have already seen them, but for those who haven't, please check out the full listing I made on my blog:

Ken Rockwell Nikon Camera User Guides

He allows you to download them, but asks for a $5 donation if you do. In my opinion, it's worth it. Enjoy!

From a respected author... Thom Hogan has the Nikon Guides too. KR has somewhat of a reputation on TPF.

Ive just been looking at some of his guides, for the D40 in fact. He says he only ever uses Program mode, and the other modes are not needed. Somehow if that were the case i doubt nikon would bother to build them into the camera. I find him slightly nutty, all that crap about live cheap/ frugal so u can do what you want to do. All he is doing is justifying what he wants to spend his money on. In his case cameras !

Thanks for the info! ;) That's what I've been looking for. The manual isn't enough.

From a respected author... Thom Hogan has the Nikon Guides too. KR has somewhat of a reputation on TPF.

Wow, thanks for pointing me to those. That guy looks legit. However, he charges $50 for a copy of his D90 manual, and I can't see it before I buy it. Although it's probably better than Ken Rockwell's.

Ive just been looking at some of his guides, for the D40 in fact. He says he only ever uses Program mode, and the other modes are not needed. Somehow if that were the case i doubt nikon would bother to build them into the camera. I find him slightly nutty, all that crap about live cheap/ frugal so u can do what you want to do. All he is doing is justifying what he wants to spend his money on. In his case cameras !

I agree with you for the most part puyjapin. There's quite a bit I don't agree with him on (i.e. only shooting JPEG), but he still knows a lot about cameras. I just found his explanation of most of the settings quite helpful, but others may not I suppose.

Thanks for the info! ;) That's what I've been looking for. The manual isn't enough.

You're very welcome!

I highly doubt KR leaves his D40 in program auto mode. :lmao:

Wow, thanks for pointing me to those. That guy looks legit. However, he charges $50 for a copy of his D90 manual, and I can't see it before I buy it. Although it's probably better than Ken Rockwell's.
He is legit. I bought a Field Guide (David Busch) for my D80 and was thoroughly unimpressed with it. I feel ya about the $50, but all I can say is to somehow cough it up. I got it for the D300. The guide is on CD that can be printed, but is 769 pages. It's not just that he explains all the functions and settings, he also explains when and why to use them, as well as which to best ignore. You will not absorb all the information at once, nor should you try. Eat it like an elephant. I keep the CD close at hand while on the computer and refer to it often..... I printed it out and read bits of it when in bed. There is quite a bit of ancillirary information to boot. Well worth the price of admission for me.

Just my 2¢.

I have to agree with Kundalini. The Thom Hogan guides are the best thing you can spend money on for your camera.

As for anything Ken Rockwell says.... Well it's not gospel, and definitely completely biased, let's put it that way.

When I bought my D90, KR's guide definitely helped me, as well as many guides on his site.

I had kept an open mind about the whole KR thing, until I started reading his D40 guide.

Apparently a 6MP jpeg Basic file, that's a 3000x2000 pixel 600k file, will look just fine printed 36 inches wide and examined closely.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back