Ken Rockwell's Free Nikon SLR User's Guides

Wow, had no idea that mentioning Ken Rockwell would generate such buzz :mrgreen:. This is entertaining to say the least.

I had kept an open mind about the whole KR thing, until I started reading his D40 guide.

Apparently a 6MP jpeg Basic file, that's a 3000x2000 pixel 600k file, will look just fine printed 36 inches wide and examined closely.

I realize he is a bit head-over-heels about his beloved D40, but I don't remember him ever saying that a basic JPEG from one looks good blown up that size. Maybe he did in his D40 guide, but I didn't read too far into that.

I just take everything he says with a grain of salt and try to extract any wisdom that I can.

Wow, had no idea that mentioning Ken Rockwell would generate such buzz :mrgreen:. This is entertaining to say the least.

I realize he is a bit head-over-heels about his beloved D40, but I don't remember him ever saying that a basic JPEG from one looks good blown up that size. Maybe he did in his D40 guide, but I didn't read too far into that.

I just take everything he says with a grain of salt and try to extract any wisdom that I can.

Yes, it was in the D40 guide. Also, on the first page of the guide he says he uses the reset buttons before every use of the camera. On another page he states he rarely uses them.

At that point I quit reading.

Last edited:
Yes, it was in the D40 guide. Aso, on the first page of the guide he says he uses the reset buttons before he every use of the camera. On another page he states he rarely uses them.

At that point I quit reading.

He's odd. The D90 guide had none of that garbage in it. He must have been on some laced peanuts or something when writing his D40 guide.

Is it necessary to outwardly bash a member? If you see inconsistancies, by all means mention them, preferrably in a somewhat tactful manner.....but to outwardly bash someone on here? Why is that necessary? I'm not saying don't give your opinion, but lately with all the bashings I have been reluctant to post and in all honesty, find it hard to take anything some members say with more than a grain of salt.

So, he feels passionately about the D40, I feel passionate about my A350. And yeah there may be inconsistancies in his guide, sometimes mistakes happen.....if you wish to read a vastly contradictory book, pick up a bible. Lately it just seems TPF has turned into little more than a pissing contest.

Yeah, it's called a manual. They include it in the box.

Honestly, I think products should be made well enough that they don't need instruction manuals for anything other than extraneous fringe features.

Anyone know of an equivalent guide for Canon?

(Oh and Ken Rockwell stinks and/or rules. :er:)

:lol: I've heard magic latern guides are great, though I don't have any experience with online guides for cannon simply because I don't have one ;)

Is it necessary to outwardly bash a member? If you see inconsistancies, by all means mention them, preferrably in a somewhat tactful manner.....but to outwardly bash someone on here? Why is that necessary? I'm not saying don't give your opinion, but lately with all the bashings I have been reluctant to post and in all honesty, find it hard to take anything some members say with more than a grain of salt.

So, he feels passionately about the D40, I feel passionate about my A350. And yeah there may be inconsistancies in his guide, sometimes mistakes happen.....if you wish to read a vastly contradictory book, pick up a bible. Lately it just seems TPF has turned into little more than a pissing contest.

You should find out who Ken Rockwell is before you complain about everyone bashing a member.

He's not a member here. Some one made up the forum name. He's a photographer that does revues.

So go do some googling and yahooing and researching, then come back and complain about something.

I highly doubt he uses a D40. :)

He does. For casual, tourist, "I'm going to be out shopping and may need a camera" type shooting. For everything else the man DOES have a D3 and various film cameras.

With Ken Rockwell, as with anything, the devil is in the details (in fact I think he is PURPOSELY obtuse, scatterbrained to give people something to argue about which in turn keeps his name in circulation).

As for THOM HOGAN; way overpriced for what you get, especially since most of the material you are paying for is recycled from other books. I am not saying the information isn't useful and exhaustive (to a point), but there are numerous other free guides out there that will do what he does for much less.

You should find out who Ken Rockwell is before you complain about everyone bashing a member.

He's not a member here. Some one made up the forum name. He's a photographer that does revues.

So go do some googling and yahooing and researching, then come back and complain about something.

Though I don't know if the user here is the same Ken Rockwell, one (especially in the beginners forums) could easily think they were one and the same......

That being said.... you know what the word ass.u.me means right??? So please, before you run off on a tangent or 10, or begin yet another pissing contest, I am well aware and have read the reviews of Ken Rockwell, long before arriving on this site.

My comments were not solely with regards to Ken Rockwell, but the over all feel of the beginners forum..... it's sad when a beginner posts "I'm going to try this again and hope that it doesn't turn into another argument" because all they want is a little input not a drawn out debate.

Though I don't know if the user here is the same Ken Rockwell, one (especially in the beginners forums) could easily think they were one and the same......

That being said.... you know what the word ass.u.me means right??? So please, before you run off on a tangent or 10, or begin yet another pissing contest, I am well aware and have read the reviews of Ken Rockwell, long before arriving on this site.

My comments were not solely with regards to Ken Rockwell, but the over all feel of the beginners forum..... it's sad when a beginner posts "I'm going to try this again and hope that it doesn't turn into another argument" because all they want is a little input not a drawn out debate.

Then talk about kittens and not Ken Rockwell.

Then talk about kittens(random) and not Ken Rockwell.

It's official..... we have a winner for the pissing contest in this thread!

Seriously, why just outwardy bash someone, anyone, with zero tact. If nothing else this is a prime example of your professionalism....or lack thereof.

ypperin said:

Though I have to admit I am confused..... how is kittens related to the latest pissing contests on the beginners forums??

Wait I have it....

funny-pictures-cat-challenges-you-to-a-fight.jpg

Last edited:
I actually like Rockwell. He is a bit... unusual but he actually makes sense. Anyway, his manuals are pretty good as I see. And I definitely agree with him that any camera can be made to take good pictures, be it a a D40 (or even a Holga or Lomo!) or Rockwell's new beloved Leica M7.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back