Kenko Teleconverters

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Talonted90, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talonted90

Talonted90 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey all,
    I recently acquired a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8D ED lens push/pull version. I've never used the push/pull before this but really don't mind it at all. I will definitely be keeping this lens for some time while money does not permit the purchase of a longer reach lens with comparable speed. I would like to add a teleconverter to my set and it's my understanding that the Nikon teleconverters will not allow AF. I have decided on going Kenko for the price and overall reviews. I was wondering of the 1.4x and 2.0x Kenko Pro300 teleconverters, which do people prefer for overall IQ performance. Or if anyone has any other recommendations I am open to suggestions.

Andrew

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1.4x is what I've heard, sorry I don't have any personal experience to back it up though. 2.0x is still very acceptable, but at a slight cost in IQ and more light loss as well, again not from experience.

You've probably read everything I have regarding this so I'll just back out and watch the thread since I'm interested in one of these myself and was leaning toward the 1.4x.

3. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In general (and I have no direct experience with Kenko), you want to avoid a 2X TC on a zoom lens, whereas a 1.4x can often do a respectable job. I find this definitely to be the case with both my Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 and with my Sigma 100-300mm f/4. IQ is far superior with the 1.4X than with the 2X.

I don't know for sure with Nikon lenses, but Canon lenses will AF with a TC if the maximum aperture is no smaller (higher f#) than f/5.6. In your case with an f/2.8, I would expect AF to work with the 2X.

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a Kenko Pro300 1.4x teleconverter. Fantastic teleconverter. Very anecdotally it seems better than a far older Nikon TC I had (which was used on a different lens too so this means nothing.)

Certainly a gem from a company that produces a lot of lemons.

5. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the Kenko 2X pro300 but only use it on fast primes, 1.4X is ok on a zoom
    300F2.8 + 2X
    [​IMG]

6. Talonted90

Talonted90 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd love the extra reach with a 2x but I am not willing to sacrifice that much IQ. If only kenko had a 1.7x. I think the 1.4 is what I am going to go with.

7. markj

markj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I went to Calumet yesterday to inquire about both the Kenko converters. They recommended the 2.0X for the additional reach. The 1.4X will only give me 80mm on my 80-200 f2.8D.
    They told me I could have two weeks to return if not totally satisfied. I figure, two days I'll know if it's acceptable i.q. Hard to beat that arrangement. Check your local photography store
    and see if they match Calumets offer.

8. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'll hazard a guess that 2 and a half years on he's either found what he's looking for or given up on photography.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.