Kid Tricks!

tinacolada

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ittybittyportraits.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I took some pictures of a Frumpy six-month old last week. We tried everything we could think of to get even a grin out of her and it didn't work. I told her mom to come back when she was happy, she called the next morning and she said she was really happy. She brought her over and she was talking and laughing but as soon as we got her into the studio she was not happy at all. I tried everything I can think of and still didn't get very cute ones of her. I don't know if it was her, the studio was too dark, or she just wasn't happy. Do any of you that do kids portraits have anything that works especially well? I have a 22 month old coming today and I was going to run out and get some attention getters but I need ideas? Thanks,tina

I do a lot of kid shots, but I'm not much help when it comes to working in the studio. I find that what works best for me is to let them be themselves, observe, and then try to capture the right moment. That's hard to do on a schedule, and I highly respect anyone who can coax that out of a kid. My brother is one of those people who can probably make any kind laugh no matter where they are.

I'm guessing you are specifically going for formals, so this won't help, but have you considered shooting them on location, like at their house?

Stair into their eyes (however long feels right) then smile. This will require not having the camera in front of your face. Also you could try disguising the camera.

The best trick I've ever found is dancing. I dance a very silly little dance, and that usually cracks them up, or at least interests them. (I have a remote in one hand). For ones this young, I also play peek-a-boo from behind the camera (again, remote in hand). You can get some pretty great expressions from the peek a boo trick.
Hope that helps!
Cindy

Sometimes I'll leave the ceiling lights on for a bit and just sit and chat with mom and child for 5 or 10 minutes to give the little one a chance to get used to the room. Remember, sometimes going to the photographer is so much like goin to the doctor... plop 'em on a table, shine lights on 'em, moving them into position, examining them. It can make a lil one a bit aprehensive.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back