kids cameras

Juls

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
O.k. I don't know if this is the place for this question, but I'll ask anyways because maybe some of you have experiense with kid's cameras. My hubby and I are ALWAYS taking pictures with our dslr, but I would love to get a camera or two for my kids for Christmas so they can join in with the fun instead of being bored. They are 4 and 6. I was thinking of either vtech's kidszoom, or Fisher Prices kid tough camera for the 4 year old, but I think my advanced 6 year old might get bored quickly and frustrated that her pictures were not of better quality. Any tough digital cameras out there that are easy to use but won't insult her intelligence? I think she can close one eye and doesn't need the sound effects. Sorry, if this isn't the place for this question, but any advice would be appriciated.

hey there .

i bought my 6 yr old a camera on ebay.

i just looked at the price i was prepared to pay then chck out reviiews f the camera on line. worked out well for me

Yeah, that's what i would do. Craigslist is a good tool too. Just get something that's cheap enough to where if it breaks, it's not that big of a deal.

I've seen those Fisher Price cameras...they are great for younger kids but once they are old enough to take reasonable care of a camera, I'll suggest a better one.

I can't recommend any specific models, but I think jols advice is good.

There is a lot of 4 and up mega pixels P&S cameras on craigslist starting at 30 bucks witch is not bad. My Son is 6 years old and he wants a camera for Christmas I will definitely consider the ones on craigslist, he loves taking pictures.

I bought my kids the original fisher price cameras. They are merely ok, and I say that lightly. They are like 0.3 MP. I then bought my oldest the poloroid pixie, it doubles as a video game, and it sucks, IMO. It eats batteries and is not rugidized at all. the new fisher price ones are supposed to be better MP. I was going to upload the FP shots but photo bucket is not likeing them at all. the flash battery for the FP model is sepearate which is good, but it dies after about 100 pics, it's a watch battery and they take SD cards. Good for the price, but there are better ones out there.

here you go, the pink FP camera taking a picture of me pointing at the blue one. This was taken by a 5 year old
1906538055_4665b3a50d_o.jpg

a 6 year old, eh?
Well I know when I was 6 I was a pretty smart kid, and very careful with my technology stuff (386, sega genesis, etc)...so I would say it's ok to go and buy him a similar camera to what you would use...but obvs a little lower end)
A lower end powershot, or an S3 on ebay or something could be good.

maybe bring the 6 year old to a camera store (if you trust him) and have him hold a few, see which she likes and go from there. it may be a bad idea to get one of those "slim" ones she may like the bulky feel. personally i think you should skip the "kiddy" cameras and just get a cheap p&s that way if something does happen to it (lets face it everyone has accidents) you could have a rock solid company to fall back on

I've been toying with the idea of getting my 8 year old a digital camera for Christmas or his birthday (also in December, incidentally). Obviously price is an issue with kids...you don't want to spend a lot of money for something they will probably break or lose. I never thought of getting him a nice used one. I just may look into that.

it depends on your own self what you consider "a lot of money" i know some parents that wouldn't really mind if a 100$ camera got smashed... i know others that would cry. check out ebay and craigslist.

Do not...I repeat. DO NOT buy Crayola's digital camera for kids. It's a piece of junk!!!! The battery lasts for maybe 5 min and every time it turns off (even if the battery is still functioning) all the pics are erased. So if a child were to take pictures with it, they would need to be uploaded before the camera was even turned off. I didn't find out that this camera was such a turd until after I threw away all the packaging and of course, nobody will take it back. I sent an irate email to Crayola and they simply said they would pass along my email to the manufacturer. Anywho, nobody else should have to waste their $60 on a worthless camera. My 6 year old son now uses a $100 Kodak Easyshare. It has been dropped a time or two but it still works just fine for him.

I bought my niece a camera on ebay. The brand is SVP ( an off brand). The thing was about $60( brand new) and for the money takes amazing pics. She has dropped it a few times and it still works. She is only 4 so I don't expect her to take good care of it, but so far she's had it for a year and it still functions perfectly. It takes sd cards up to 4 gigs.

ive let my neice and nephew use my old 1.2mp fuji finepix camera since they were 4
and occasionally let them use my 4mp kodak cam

i let him use my D50 while he was on my lap and the neckstrap around me..

now i gave him the fuji cam and he said, this camera sucks, can i use the black one? lolol

go on ebay and you should be able to find some older P&s ones for $10-$20
thats what i was thinking of doing for my niece and nephew.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back