Kiev 88

glene

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been offered a Kiev 88 for $200 bucks by a friend. Its apparently a knock off of the Blad and is 6x6 and I love 6x6 photography and have wanted to get into it for so long just to get back to film to much digital!! but could never afford a real blad atm, so my question is has anyone got one? I know they have a rep for being DOGS but how bad is it, if im just ganna have a play is it a good buy? or should i run for the hills!?

Kiev were famous for their (very) poor quality control. Their cameras were not very reliable even when new. I would stay away and maybe look for a Twin Lens Relflex (TLR) camera such as a Mamiya C330 (interchangeable lenses) or a Yashica MAT124 (non-interchangeable lens). You might even find a Bronica SQB or SQA (SLRs) with a film back and a 80mm lens with your $200 budget.

HAHAH consider your advise taken, Im running!!

I will add my ditto on the Bronica SQ if you want to get into MF. Lot of good equipment being sold off right now. Just after the holidays I purchased a new SQ-Ai body, new 80mm PS lens, new Metering prism, new non-metering prism, new 120 film back all for under $500. This was a store clearancing out their equipment. I saw full kits of SQ models going for $200 used the other day while parusing that auction site. If you have the desire and couple extra hundred. I think now is the time. Before they start becomming considered classics and prices start going back up.

I actually bid on a C330 and think would have won but my last rebid didn't make it in time. It went for $221.

Most reactions

Back