Kinda crappy...

srinaldo86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was mainly just testing out my new tripod but got a couple somewhat decent photos... C&C always welcome.

1. My truck (VERY dirty from all the road salt)
2cie845.jpg

2. Tiny Waterfall
eufp76.jpg

3. Tree stuck in the water
2m6of1l.jpg

looks like the tripod works. ;)

Highlights are blown out and the pics are kinda boring. But I agree...the tripod is working fine ;). Keep practicing !

Highlights?

yeah the tripod works but the subject matter is boring.

Highlights?

Yes. The white areas in the pictures are overexposed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm going to guess these were shot with a point and shoot camera of some kind?

Scenes with snow are tricky, and usually require some sort of manual exposure compensation to avoid this. These look like the Dynamic Range of your camera was limited, a characteristic of most point and shoot cameras and their small sensors.

It wasn't a point and shoot, it was a Rebel XS. I probably messed them up by trying to edit them.

Thanks for the comments!

It wasn't a point and shoot, it was a Rebel XS. I probably messed them up by trying to edit them.

Thanks for the comments!

It probably wasn't the edit. Snow, and extremely bright conditions tend to confuse most camera sensors, even DSLR sensors. It blew out the highlights as a result. When you shoot, especially in scenes like these, check the histogram. If the graph goes off the right side, you are clipping your highlights, and you need to compensate by turning your exposure down until the highlights aren't clipped anymore. Same thing, but the opposite if the graph goes off the left side, except that this means you're clipping shadows.

Clipping is a term that simply means you're losing detail. So if you're clipping highlights, it means the sensor is reading it as pure white, and you lose any detail.

I thought the third photo was a lovely near-abstract shot. Seriously...I thought it was pretty well executed, and not simple, but rather perplexing and interesting.

Thanks for the comments!

It probably wasn't the edit. Snow, and extremely bright conditions tend to confuse most camera sensors, even DSLR sensors. It blew out the highlights as a result. When you shoot, especially in scenes like these, check the histogram. If the graph goes off the right side, you are clipping your highlights, and you need to compensate by turning your exposure down until the highlights aren't clipped anymore. Same thing, but the opposite if the graph goes off the left side, except that this means you're clipping shadows.

Clipping is a term that simply means you're losing detail. So if you're clipping highlights, it means the sensor is reading it as pure white, and you lose any detail.

Good to know! I can honestly say I've never used my histogram for anything... ever. I will have to keep that in my mental tool box for my next time out. Thank you!

Derrel, that means a lot to me coming from you! Thank you very much!

As a complete novice (that's me..not you!!) I like the textures in 2

Most reactions

New Topics

Back