Kinda wishing I hadnt gone for the XTi now...

Works just fine with my 350D (XT) - check out the more recent entries on my flickr site if you need a second opinion (in fact, most of the first 4 pages).

You guys are great! :) Thanks so much!

I do reallllly want a better, faster lens. I hardly take my 50mm off my camera right now just because I really dont like the kit lens...but I need something that can get a wider shot then my 50mm sometimes, so that is going to be one of my next purchases. That and a good flash. :)

I feel better today....lol...

I totally felt the same for a while after I bought my 350D in Jan. 2006. After I got it, I was like, Man, I could have gotten a better camera for like $400 more (that's how much it was then) why didn't I do that!? Even though I was incredibly happy with the images I got with my 350D, I was unhappy with my purchase for a long time because of money. About 6 months after I bought my camera, I ended up giving away just about everything I owned, and set out on the road on an adventure. I saved my camera, however, and loved it every bit of the way.

The only thing was, when I was financially able to upgrade, I looked at my work and photographic technique, and I asked myself, am I really ready to upgrade?? I learned SLR shooting in film formally, and digital is a totally different story. As a result of always wanting to get at least SOMETHING, instead of an over/underexposed shot, I became heavily dependent on the Program function on the 350D. Not only this, but the lenses I had did not nearly bring out the full potential of the camera.

I guess what I'm saying is, I understand where you're coming from, but electronics come out so often that whenever you buy something, it's going to be outdated within a year. So yeah, you could have gotten the 40D if you would have waited, but if you would have waited, would you have paid that much for the 40D or that much less for the Xti? I think it's a wonderful camera to start with and learn Digital SLR controls on, and when you're ready, the 40D will be much cheaper, and the XTi will be your backup for your pro setup!

I kinda wish I had waited and gotten a 40D instead. I didn't really know a whole lot about ANYTHING when I got the XTi...my friend has one and I fell in love with it, and didnt really look into others. It really was all I could afford anyway...but now I wish I would have waited a few months, saved up some more cash, and gotten a more "pro" camera. Maybe I can just keep saving, and eventrually sell my XTi and get the 40D (or whatever may be out thats in that price range)

Not that the XTi is a BAD camera...its really not...but after feeling and playing with others on a few different occasions now, I seem to dislike my XTi more and more....lol!

*sigh*

Ok, pitty party over. :)

Exactly my feeling after I got the XT. This is why I now have a 30D. I use my 30D for professional photography but I seem to use my XT most of the time for my personal photos. For professional use I really cannot accept the limitations imposed by not having truly independent shutter and aperture control. It's a pain in the rear having to use two different control systems and having to remember which does what. It is however simplified a lot by the fact I shoot RAW and don't have to bother with the onboard image control systems.

My advice is either to sell the XTi and replace it with a 30D or keep on using it then upgrade later. Personally I would not get the grip for it since it's not a camera you're happy with - spend no more money on it.

Most reactions

Back